Weekly Photo Challenge: Mountain

When you believe and have faith in yourself and others, any towering mountain becomes reachable.

Nine years ago while working in this Island, I met a good friend. He was initially a patient of mine in the hospital who I had to do a  house call because he preferred to stay in his hotel. When he got well, he asked me how much I owe him. I told him I don’t really accept payment other than the fix salary I get from the hospital. I told him that I did it because I wanted to help him without expecting anything in return. Several days later he visited me in the hospital and we would talk of just about anything under the Sun. I learned that he was from California and that he wanted to retire in the Island with his girlfriend.

Several months later, he invited me and my wife for a vegetarian dinner at his house at the edge of the mountain, exactly at the location shown in the picture. Part of its walls were the very rock formations of the mountain and the rest of the materials were made of bamboo and native dried plant called ” cogon.” The entire hut was facing the sea. The view was breathtaking. Above the clear sky was a full moon, all bright and glowing, while the waters below were shimmering like tiny diamonds.  The coconut leaves were swaying gracefully while the gentle caress of the cool, fragrant sea breeze felt so soothing.  I could hear the sound of the waves as they greet the white sandy shores.

We had tofu and veggie pasta. It tasted strange, exotic and delicious at the same time. We had a great time talking about the past as well as the plans of the future. Over all it was a night to remember.

It’s been years since I saw my friend and his beautiful house by the mountain side but I know that one day, the tides will bring us back to the Island that brought me so much happy memories and genuine friendship.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Events, Inspiration, photography, Travels, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Mountain

1. MOL says:

Where exactly is this place? Looks idyllic. Did not know you’re a physician. Are you practicing in Tx?

• It’s Boracay. It’s about 4 hours from my hometown. I worked there for 1 year at a provincial hospital while waiting for my U.S. Nursing papers. I had a BSN degree before taking medicine. I’m an R.N. now since 2003 and I love the profession as well. I hope to go home and practice if faith would permit it. I’m an E.D. nurse in Texas but I initially worked in the outer Sacramento and the Bay area for almost 4 years. My sister got married to someone who lives in Kalibo, Aklan, which is 2 hours from Boracay. I hope to retire there one day. I miss medicine but It’s not easy to pass the physician exam in the U.S. being the sole bread winner and age is actually a factor in Residency which can be very frustrating. I just follow what God intends me to be. If he wants me to be a nurse, I’ll gladly accept it with all my heart. And I think I’m really good at it too. I enjoy being close to my patient at bedside. Best wishes to you and your love ones.

2. Louise says:

Hi Island Traveller! Another great and uplifting post. Is that Boracay?

Cheers,
    Louise

• Thank you. It is. I worked there for a year before leaving for the U.S. I met a lot of great friends there and had the most wonderful soul searching during my days off . I loved every moment of it. I miss just being close to nature without any worries in the World. I told my wife, one day I wish to retire there too, just like my friend in the story.

3. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Mountains « CHANGEversations

• Thank you for the visit. Your daughter’s painting of the mountain and the surrounding landscape was very artistic and beautiful. I have my son’s watercolor painting posted on our fridge. We parents need to let them know how much we appreciate and value their works and achievements. We are their greatest fans.

4. Beautiful story, Island Traveler. I hope one day soon you’ll meet your friend again – Good health to both of you.

• Thank you. When I look back in the past, I met a lot of true and fun friends. We would have the best of times simply because we were great friends for each other. It reminds me that money is not everything in this World. It can not buy you true happiness. One thing I like about our weekly photo challenge is that it makes me appreciate life more and see it in a newer, more positive perspective.

5. jhirzel88 says:

There was a few occasions where I helped people. I used to be a cashier at a retail store, and every once in a while, someone would ask for help carrying a heavy object to their car. After I started walking back to the store, a man whom I just helped came came up to me and had a $5 bill in his hand. He wanted to compensate me for helping him but it is against the rules to accept gift payment other than our base pay for working. I told the guy that we make enough money for what we do in our job. In reality, I was only making less than $9 an hour. However, it’s the thought of helping that counts. Even if I was allowed to accept his money, I still wouldn’t take it, only because I am a considerate person and I believe that helping people should just be a routine task for all of us.

• Bless your generous heart. In a World surrounded by people too busy to care, there are still people out there who genuinely cares about others. Who would offer a hand without any expectations. Stories like this gives us hope and inspiration that everyone has the capacity to care, we just need to choose to care and express it. Thank you for sharing your story. God bless you and your family.

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Mountains | Stories of My Wandering Feet & Mind

7. It is such a beautiful Mountain…great location, friends, food. You deserve it.

8. john tugano says:

if you look back at this picture, I’m sure you’ll remember the friendship that was built beyond the borders of this rocky mountain..The mountain’s landscape is very beautiful adorned with houses on the side and its foot,its rare and lucky you to visits this place..Boracay is like a paradise I surmise..and as you have said there are great people here worth keeping to be a friend..Nice post and perfect fit for the challenge..=)

• Thank you for the comment. It took me a while to fugure what picture to post. Most of the beautiful mountains I’ve seen, I never got the chance to save on camera but I did keep my Boracay pics in my computer archives and luckily it has one of them. The view was really beautiful and I think anywhere in that island is picture perfect but what was more beautiful were the friendship and the people I met along the way. It always feel like home everytime I visit the place during vacation time . Have a great day my friend.

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Mountains | Inspiration

You always have something interesting to share whether stories or pictures.

• Thanks my friend. I think all of us do. we just need to find time to sit down, gather our thoughts, and let our minds run free. I never thought writing can be this liberating. Almost like a mental/emotional therapy. Your version of the mountain was just spectacular.

11. Beautiful picture! I enjoy reading your blog because you always have something interesting and inspiring to share with the world. 🙂

• Thank you. That means a lot coming from one of the bloggers I also admire in terms of their work and visions of the World, may it be in writing or in photography. You have travelled so much and each one is a priceless beautiful experience. Your last 2 posts were just mesmerizing. You have a gift to capture the best in your subject of interest. I was a fan since day one. Keep travelling and making new discoveries for us.

12. Patti Kuche says:

Your lovely posts always offer that special touch of paradise and, always, they come from the heart. Hope the tide takes you back to this beautiful mountain soon!

• I hope so too. I’m already planning my vacation after Christmas. Wish me luck. Can’t wait to hug my parents, it’s been a long 3 years since I got to be close to them. Definitely, I will step foot on those white sandy beaches and everyone who was a part of this Blog will be in for a special treat. I will take everyone with me , even just in thoughts. Thank you for the comment and have a wonderful, fun day.

13. thedailydish says:

I’m not surprised you made such a wonderful friend so effortlessly. You’re one of those people who naturally draw others to themselves. Thanks for sharing your story – I hope your paths cross one day soon!

• Thanks Christy. I hope so too. I’m really hoping to go home early next year. It’s long due. It’s not the same seeing your family and friends in person as compared to a web cam or hearing their voice on the phone. It would be a sweet reunion. By the way, those chickens are all grown. How interesting that they like pasta. Take care.

I’m glad to know that you also eat tofu.I eat tofu every week.
    Anyway the phrase “any towering mountain becomes reachable.” is really true.
    We just do it.:)

• Thanks. I love tofu. Actually I like sushi and sashimi as well. My wife and I Find Japanese cuisine delicious. I enjoy all kinds of food. Your trip to Dino museum with your kids was so enjoyable to read. Colorful and fun. Thank you.

15. Barbara Rodgers says:

What a beautiful place – the color of the water is amazing!
    I can almost see the moon, the shimmering water, the coconut leaves swaying… Almost feel the sea breeze, the white sand on my toes… And almost hear the waves… Wishing you a wonderful time when you visit with your family and friends again!

• Thank you for such a beautiful comment. When I made the post, I could almost see myself watching the sea over my friends balcony. How amazing what descriptive words can do . Thank you. As for the waters, they’re mesmering shades of blues and greens. Take good care of yourself. Keep us inspired.

That’s a great photo and I love the lush green landscape and I think the homes in between… stunning! 🙂
    Checking back in to catch up after a lull on the comments front but hectic on the home front. 🙂

• Thanks for the comment. The view from those houses are gorgeuos. I would walk from the hospital to that place when I’ m off. It’s those walks that I won’t ever forget. I found myself during those reflective walks when I was at a lost as what to do with my life after college. I enjoyed reading your post on love. Your grandma is an amazing woman, full of love and generosity. Thanks for sharing her to us. Stay blessed.

17. thirdhandart says:

A very inspiring story and photo! I can’t wait till your vacation early next year. It’ll be very cold and dreary here, but your story will certainly be warm and dreamy.

• Thank you. It will be a perfect weather in the Islands. Not too hot, not too cool. I’ll make sure that that I got to share that future experience with you all. Can’t wait too. May God bless you and your family always. Take care.

18. What a nice post! Love the story and the picture. OK, in my head there might be a pig roasting and not tofu….kidding!

• Well, pig roasting happens too but that’s only during special occasions like fiestas, weddings and Birthdays. And it’s only recommended for those with normal cholesterol level. Mine was borderline this year. Too bad for me. Thanks for the comment. Can’t imagine the food temptation you are surrounded with being a great chef and all.

19. Vegetarian dinner? Tofu? Count me in!! Yummy!! I especially love this post. It truly captures the beauty of the island, and the inner beauty of the people. It is such a blessing to be able to share a wonderful friendship with someone who touches our soul. It was very kind of you not to accept additional payment. In this day and age, money seems to be the great motivator. It’s nice to see such a warm spirit. By the way, I love learning about the culture. There is so much out there to learn that goes way beyond the material world. Great post (as usual)! 🙂

• Thank you. I read this comment twice. loved every bit of it. I was in Galveston beach this morning and I talked to a guy who used to live in Long Beach California. We both shared our great admiration for the sea and the beaches. It made me realize that wherever I am, I will always be the guy who lived in the Islands, who love the sea, who appreciates the landscape of the country side, who like to talk and get to know the people in his community , who grew up in a simple, generous, and big happy family. And I guess my post is all about them as well. I can not really change who I am. I can wear trendy clothes, even become another country’s citizen but my mind and heart are still the same. Weird but true. I admire your love to learn about other cultures. I also enjoy learning other cultures, I think they’re rich, fascinating and unique. There are things that we could learn from knowing them. Best wishes to you and your family.

20. wolke205 says:

Amazing pic! Greets

• Thank you. It was an amazing place to be but more interesting were the friendly and generous people I met along the way.

• wolke205 says:

That s true. I also met friendly & interesting people while travelling. I went 16 Times to Tunisia, 1 time to Egypt (more on my blog). Greets

• Those are great places to visit. I need to catch up reading on your posts. A lot of the good friends we have are the ones we least expect to meet. Meeting friends of different culture from our travels open new doors and learning that otherwise we’ll never experience if we just stay put in our homes or in the city that we grow up or grow old. Since after college I moved from one city to the next, depending where my profession leads me and each time I met the nicest, generous and fun people that I hope to one day revisit, if fate allows me to. Thanks for the comment.

• wolke205 says:

I think we have a lot in common. We see things the same way 🙂 I m glad I found your blog on here & can’t wait to read more of your posts!

• Same here. Thank you for the visits and the comments. I discovered a lot of beautiful landscapes in you Blog. Amazing views and photos.