Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured

An intricate carving. When I ran my hands on its surface, some are smooth, others are rough, a few with sharp edges. Visually the mirror captured some interesting subjects that made it more interesting.

For the past weekly photo challenges, I used the photos I took outdoors. Today, I give you a glimpse of my home’s interior structure. I thought it’s a rich combination of colors, shapes, materials and other elements intermingled with each other creating the perfect textured dining room of my dreams.

An Indonesian folding table, an Indian elephant  and Thai wood carving, a tall glass vase with  tropical flowers. Notice the texture of the painted walls, it felt like glued sands..

An Indonesian folding table for $10 bucks, an Indian elephant and Thai wood carvings both we got for 75% off at World Market and a glass vase we filled with white rice from our pantry giving the effect of beach sand. check out the textured walls.

"Oops paint" for $5 dollars. Shells we collected through the years. There's a reason why I go to the beach other than admire the sea.

5 years ago, this space was blank, boring, a monotone beige color. My wife and I are both into interior design and home improvements. Call it D.I.Y. if you will. We both enjoy playing with colors and in putting together products from different cultures. We also love the challenge of buying the cheapest materials and furnishings that we could find. It’s like finding a rare treasure for us. That gives you a clue where our favorite section of the store is. That’s right, it’s the clearance corner. Hey, it’s a tough time, every penny counts. Finding beauty in the least of things is a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

This carpet captured the cool colors of Autumn. It glued everything together. A carpet that has all the colors of any room is a secret element that will make everything blend in harmony.

My wife and I were inspired by the colors on an artist’s palette. But instead of putting colors on a canvas, we splattered them across the room and created the dining room that brought us so much fun and great memories. When you work together as a family in any house improvement, it becomes a beautiful activity that everyone will remember and talk about in the years to come.

The magic of lights. It can create an ambiance of romance or friendship. It can make any food preparation look delicious and appetizing. Restaurants , bakeshop, groceries use it all the time. It's one reason why you bought that red, sweet-looking apple.

The most important part of any D.I.Y. project or any home interior designing is that you have fun doing it. Enjoy each minute, take your time, follow your passion and whats makes you happy, involve the entire family if possible. The more creative input, the better. You can always look at those design books and T.V. networks but it’s your home, every personal touch counts.

In the end, it's not the physical structure that defines how beautiful a home is but it's the people who dwells in them. When your home is filled with love and happiness, a rainbow will always be inside your home.

I hope you like my version of ” Textured” this week. Thank you for all the generous comments, sharing and  the “like” clicks. My blogging path has been memorable and enriching because of all your support. Rest assured, I will walk with you as well. My last photo this week is titled ” The Elements of Friendship.” Enjoy and stay blessed always.

The best reward a blogger can get is the gift of friendship. It's not about numbers anymore but it's building meaningful connections.

To Gail, of nightowlgail thanks for the gift. To Nuvofelt of chittlechattle, thanks for the Liebster award. To Georgette of georgettesullins for the recognition on your last post about your grandson and the giant binoculars. To Just Ramblin’ of justramblinpier,  thanks for the Noteworthy Archive award. To Third Eye Mom of thirdeyemom,  thank you for featuring me on your ” My Lucky Seven” and for Jose Pascal of In Parole Semplici for a slot on your August daily post. To everyone, who read this posts today,thank you.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Inspiration, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured

Whoa! Stop right there! From what I am reading it sounds as though you are leaving us. Tell me that this is not so…please!
    As far as your Textured is concerned that was great and you do have a lovely home. I did not do it this week as my pictures all went wrong so I quit!
    You must tell me asap. I shall worry about it otherwise!

• I can’t live my friends behind. Where I go, we all go. This journey is no longer about me but it’s about all of us. The connection has been made, like the prints of time, it will stay forever. Best wishes to you and your family.

2. Island traveler says:

No my friend. I’m here to stay and share your blogging path. I wish though you’ ll join this week’s challenge. Friends like you is one reason I keep joining. There’s fun and meaning when more people share a similar connection. Okay, grab that camera and click it please. Stay blessed.

All the photos are lovely….I love the mirror!

4. MOL says:

Nice! Warm. Inviting. That’s how a home should be!

• Home is where I’ll hear the loudest laugh, the warmest hugs and kisses and the happpiest shared moments. The colors and inviting textures helps set the mood though. Thanks for the warm blogger friendship.

5. pix & kardz says:

what a wonderful tapestry of images, words and thoughts. thanks for sharing.

• Thank you. I woke up early that day, around 04:45 a.m., I felt a tremendous inspiration from the people who walked with me since day one. It’s the people like you who can warm any room, any blogging day! Thanks for the appreciative comment.

6. Beautiful and I love the colors, very warm and inviting!

• I thought so too. I think anything with red will create a spark. It’s like having a red shoe or dress for women. It’s a head turner. I’m speaking on a man’s point of view. I know women think differently. Thanks for the nice comment.

7. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured | Stories of My Wandering Feet & Mind

8. jhirzel88 says:

I’ll say this, my mom is good when it comes to floor textiles. She’s also installed wall shelves too. The first time she did it, she kept wondering how she was going to pull it off. When we used to live in Ohio, my mom had a lot of work to do because our home wasn’t taken care of with the precious owners.

She couldn’t possibly do as good of a job as you did with yours. She did the wall at her restaurant a couple weeks back. She used two colors over the separator thing, but her’s is two shades of green.

• You’re mom is actually super. I’m not that good. Usually a friend helps out when it comes to flooring and more tedious job. I salute your mom. Congratulate her for me. Growing up with women, I think they’re the best. They surprise you with what they can do every time . A toast to all the women in our lives may it be our moms, wives, siblings, friends. Thanks for such a generous sharing my friend. Stay cool always!

9. Frank Bishop says:

Absolutely beautiful. You should get paid for this. You have an eye for photography and awesome pictures. The result of your wife and your work is amazing. Seriously, you could make money on two fronts here.

• The best priceless gift is having to read comments like these. I already have my day job, or night job and this like my inner sanctum. My cave man if you will, only it’s in my head and computer. They go where I go. If times really get rough economically may be. For now, I want to create what inspires me and not what the a company or boss would tell me. Freedom is sweet. Have a great day my friend. Your blog always bring so much action and thrill.

I’m touched with your post, my friend. Your photos are actually beautiful but your stories are always moving.

• Thanks. I thought when I was younger that I would be an artist but my calling led me to the medical profession . It’s cool too to help and get paid as well but it’s not what really completes my day. To create something beautiful either visually or in writing is what I’m passionate just like writing, photography, travel and mountain climbing is for you. Of course the best reward from all this is having to preserve those memories forever. Best wishes to you and your family.

11. Mezza says:

Well you have awesome lighting, besides that I loved your textured pics.. the shells and sand was my favorite.

• Thanks for the comment/visit. The sand was actually made of rice. It’s expensive to buy one and it just happens that I opened the pantry that day because I got hungry. It gives the same effect as white sand. I’m a beach lover obviously!

12. A beautiful and inspiring post, Island. Love your photos. You have made your room so warm and inviting. Great work!

13. Jo Bryant says:

Wonderful photos – what a beautiful home.

14. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured « Changeversations

15. Beautiful textures and colors. A beautiful and stimulating home for your family.

16. All I can say is BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful home and photography! Also, I agree with you on how it is the people living in the home who make it what it is. Great post! 🙂

• That is right. Physical beauty is great for awhile but eventually the aesthetic part of the home becomes like a usual, ordinary thing cause we see it everyday. But true beauty is in the heart of those who dwells in it. When you’re surrounded by the people you love. The home looks like it just came out of HGTV. Have a safe travel and bring us some awesome photos and stories.

17. thirdhandart says:

What a beautiful dining room full of texture and color! Great DIY design work and great photos!

18. Gail says:

I am touched by this post…. thanks for mentioning me! I love these photos. Your room gives me such a warm feeling when I look at it. Love the colors. I especially love the carpet. I thought of Autumn before I even read your caption on that photo! Beautiful post and pictures!!

• Autumn has the most fascinating colors. It reminds me always of the warmth of Thanksgiving, of the amazing landscape of Vermont’s countryside during Fall, of the friendship that blossomed through the years. Thank you for being a great blogger friend. Best wishes to you and your family always.

19. aRVee says:

On image#3: “There’s a reason why I go to the beach other than admire the sea.” —haha… obviously…

i love the interior of your house….

• Thank you. I love the beach and the exotic tropics. They will always go with me wherever I go. Obviously, my home is surrounded by them. But this is me, can’t really change who I am. I can be anywhere in the World but my heart will always be the country boy that walked the local beaches and loved every moment of it.

• aRVee says:

A very simple request that is very much doable. With your hardwork and determination, I’m sure you will be living near the beach on your retirement, enjoying the place’s serenity. Stay blessed always my friend…

• I hope so too. I’m thinking of Bacolod, where I had my internship, Or Dumaguete, or Bohol, perhaps Cebu. It’s free to dream but if by God’s will I can retire in one of these places, that’s like having heaven on Earth for me. In the end , we all go back to our roots. I know I will… Stay blessed my friend . It’s so sweet of view to drop by . I appreciate them deeply.

• aRVee says:

the pleasure is mine… 🙂

20. aRVee says:

I’m thrilled to see my gravatar on the last image, thank you for the recognition IT, I appreciate that. Stay blessed… 🙂

21. suitablefish says:

wonderful photos, inspiring post. thanks for sharing from your heart once again.

• I has more than happy to do it. Sometimes I wake up and there’s so much I want to say, so much people to thank for. Gratefulness is just an awesome feeling. And it’s something that needs to be shared, in any forms. Thank you.

22. ElizOF says:

Excellent choices and all so beautiful and colorful TY! 🙂

Nice collection and shopping.I also like finding antique furniture.
    You can use them for a long time. 🙂

24. john tugano says:

Wow I can see a real artist in you..I love your experiment on your designs especially with the colors..Your house seems to be so cozy and I’d loved to be entertained in there..hehehe just joking..Well, all in all the texture is soft and smooth so cool to the eyes..

P.s
    Thanks for including my photo on the elements of friendship…keep us inspired bro..

• If you were here, you and your girlfriend will always be welcomed. The Dining room is meant to be a place to entertain friends and family. I’m glad you like the colors and the whole theme of the design. Now I know why I was best in Art in grade school. Ha, ha, ha!
      Bro, the “elements of friendship” won’t be complete without you there. The more the merrier.

• Sony Fugaban says:

This is one of the many things I like about the island traveler: He cares for his friends. Mushy, huh, but that’s really sweet of you. Mushier … Ha ha! The bottomline is, I see extra effort to each your comments and I adore you for that.

• Sony Fugaban says:

• Sony, I’m reserving one seat for you at the dining table too. When I was younger, tough is in. When I got older, it’s not as bad to be mushy sometimes. I think it takes a lot of strength for a man to show some degree of emotion. It makes us more human. I had to stop now, it’s getting mushier…ha, ha, ha!

• Sony Fugaban says:

Right! I guess I’m older now. Hehe …

Thanks for the seat! I wish your house is just near me right now so I can savor my spot there. What a nice house you got.

• Thanks. Who know’s you may visit Texas someday. Getting older has it’s perks. One of them is that we care less of what others think about us and we can be more of ourselves.

• Sony Fugaban says:

I’m not closing the possibility, IT …

• Same here. If you can climb the highest mountain, you can do anything. Enjoy those adventures with your son. They grow so fast. Stay blessed on your journeys.

25. My gawd! The interior is just fabulous! I like the use of earthy tones, invoking a feeling of warmth and cosiness.

26. The T says:

I know exactly what those little flowers are in the mirror…they are a small variety orange heliconia….I grow them right now…they are out in my parking lot on my island!!

I love them…and they’re exactly like you have them there…

T.

• It is Heliconia. I used to plant them for my mom. They come in reds, yellows and oranges. Amazing colors. They can grow up to 6 feet or so. When I see them, it reminds me why people seem to be cheerful all the time in the Islands. Thanks for the visit/comment.

27. 2e0mca says:

That room looks to have come together really nicely 🙂

28. Your dining room exudes warmth and hominess! And those colors pop! I think it’s wonderful when family works together on a DIY project. It may not always be easy, but knowing that you and your family completed it together makes it all worthwhile. And the memories are just priceless. My hubby and I have enjoyed several DIY projects together. We just did our kitchen recently. It took several months to complete, but it was very worthwhile. People think that we spent tons of money on it, but we did it all ourselves on a budget. By the way, I just love your beach sand idea. Very creative! And not to be overlooked, I was very touched by “The Elements of Friendship” photo. I agree with you wholeheartedly when you said that it’s not about the numbers, but more about building meaningful connections. Thanks friend for sharing. 🙂

• Thank you my friend. That was one beautiful comment. Congrats for finishing your kitchen with your hubby. When we work together, everything is possible. And the best part of it all, we have the memories to remind us how important our families are. ” The Elements of Friendship” was my favorite. It’s a reminder for me that there’s people out there who appreciate what I do and that you can build friendship around the World via the gift of writing. This connection is what keeps us from continuing our blogging path. Best wishes to you and your love ones.

29. I know the week’s theme is textures, but I love the tones and colors even more! This gets me (even more) excited for the prospect of not living in an apartment someday, and being able to shape the entire environment around me.

Beautiful, and as said in the comment above? So warm! Not that I should be surprised by that. 😉

• It is nice to paint and create ideas into one amazing , great looking room. That’s the beauty of having a home. You are free to express yourself in ways you can’t in an apartment. But there’s pros and cons in having a house vs an apartment. In the end, do what makes you happy. Thanks for the wonderful comment.

30. nrhatch says:

Fabulous photos!

31. nuvofelt says:

How lovely to let us glimpse inside your home. Thanks. Lovely texture everywhere.

32. Pingback: Photo Challenge ~ Textured « Spirit Lights The Way

33. Patti Kuche says:

Absolutely fabulous and I see you have brought the sunshine into your beautifully decorated home. You are an artist!

34. Thanks. I did hope to bring sunshine in my home. My wife and I love to reinvent things, spice up everything with colors that makes us feel good about ourselves as well as remind us of the landscapes of the Islands and the tropics. Sometimes we miss it so much and the room gives us a sense of comfort.

35. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured | jeanne's blog…a nola girl at heart

36. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Textured « my name's aRVee

37. Judith says:

I just love your sense of style and colour. The mirror, the uplights, the art are fantastic.
    Are you leaving us? I thought I had subscribed early in the year but I seem to have dropped off your list. So have resubscribed and hope to read many more of your posts. 🙂

• Thank you. As I told Patrecia of Whipsplash, I’m here to stay. I just woke up that morning with this irresistible feeling to thank people in the Blog world. Sometimes, I have days that I’m overcome with this sense of gratefulness and I just have to express them. And honestly, some of them are long overdue. stay blessed always.

38. These are all great pictures. I love the colors and contrasts.

39. What a quality home! I’m very impressed. And the photography was good too! 🙂

• Thank you. The best part of this DIY project was that we enjoyed every moment of it. I always tell my friends, it’s your home, have fun with it. Don’t be scared to play and experiment with colors. Set yourself free…you can always go back to beige when you think it’s the one for you.

40. You’ve created a wonderful dining room! What an inviting place to enjoy a meal. Love, love your last “texture” screen shot of friends. I recognized my face there. Very cool.

• Your gravatar picture has the most generous smile of all. Blogging is all about sharing and making connections. It simply shows that we can be anywhere in the World but common interests, goals, perspectives and dreams will draw us in one place to celebrate life and the joys it brings. Isn’t that great? Thanks.

41. thedailydish says:

What a beautiful room! I am drawn to color and yours has it in abundance. I love the fact that you & your wife are bargain hunters too. Such pleasure finding treasure at a fraction of the cost!

• There’s a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in finding treasures at a fraction of the cost. My wife and I want to create concepts that brings forth fun , adventure, ” tropical resort feel, ” After a hard day at work nothing can be more calming than going home and imagine that I’m in a resort spa. The mind is a powerful thing. Thank you for the comment. I’m glad that you like the colors.

42. Barbara Rodgers says:

I like your decorating philosophy and your home looks warm, cozy and inviting. A lot can be done with a little, as you have demonstrated!

• Thanks. It feels good to go home where you feel very comfortable after a long day at work. Those colors help me relax and just chill . And it’s great to build something beautiful and still save, save , save….

43. midaevalmaiden says:

The color pallete you have chosen for the dining room is so lovely and warm I too love vibrant colors and wooden objects with intricate shapes and patterns. It would be boring otherwise. 🙂

• That makes the two of us…colors brings about the best in us, we just need to know which one we really like. My family like earth tones with reds/golds/greens to brighten the mood. Thanks for the comment.