Weekly Photo Challenge: Comfort

What Gives Me Comfort?

There are a lot of things, places and more importantly persons that gives me comfort but the list would be too long. I decided to trim in down to three.

There's a magical comfort when two hands meet. It gives you a sense of assurance, of being cared for. It makes you feel that you matter, or needed. It can ease any pain, provides healing and soothe the longings of a lonely heart.

The first of which is the love and support of my family. When I’m with my wife and son, I feel that I’m truly home. There was a time when they had to go to another state for my wife’s class reunion and I never felt more miserable. My heart-felt like it was breaking from my yearnings for them. I tried to pick up extra overtime shifts to keep me busy but at the end of the day, I went home in an empty nest. The silence was deafening and the loneliness excruciating. Call me needy but it’s my wife and son that completes me.

Nothing can be more comforting than a touch, an embrace , a hug or a kiss from a loving parent. When I was a boy, my mom used to caress my back as I struggle to breathe during my asthma attack. She would stay awake with me till early in the morning until I went to sleep. This made me value what parents would do for their child's comfort.

The second thing that gives me comfort is knowing my son is comfortable, safe and more importantly, happy. We were at Galveston Island last weekend. My son loves the beach as well as anything that involves the water. He got excited when he heard that we were staying for two nights.

Just before joining him in the pool, I tested the water. I told him, “the water is really cold. Can I stay in the jacuzzi instead? I can still watch you from here.” He replied, “okay dad.” Then he added excitedly, “watch this.” He then stepped back about three feet away, ran towards the water, made a high jump with a little twist and landed with a perfect splash. He looked so thrilled. It’s a beautiful feeling when you see your child looked so happy. After 10 minutes or so, I decided to join him but no stunts for me.

That night we had dinner at Rainforest Cafe. He spotted the Build-A-Bear store. He pulled my shirt and asked, “can I have one stuffed toy please?” He stared at me with his hard to resist pleading look. I told him to ask his mom. He came back smiling and said, “mom said yes!”

There's no greater bond than that of a parent to his/her child. There's nothing more comforting than holding your kids close to you.

For the past few years, my son would choose his comfort stuffed toy that he would take to bed before he goes to sleep. He had George the giraffe when he was three, Sam the Rhino when he was four, Charmander the Pokemon salamander when he was five and now that he’s turning six, he chose a penguin whom he named Daniel. And so that night, Daniel was born. My son chose a red heart that the stuffed toy builder placed inside Daniel’s chest before the final stitches were made.

Before my son went to sleep, I tuck him to bed with Daniel and Charmander. He gave me and his mom a big kiss before dozing off. He slept so soundly the entire night.

My final comfort zone is being close to the sea. I feel that all the elements comes into perfect harmony when I’m at the beach. It provides me sanctuary. It gently takes away my aches and stress in life just like the tide takes back the water into the vast ocean. It heals my heart breaks.

Before we went home that weekend, I notice a poster inside the elevator that sums up why the sea brings me comfort. It says, ” this is the place where you relax, refresh and rejuvenate.” Can’t be more true.

What brings you comfort? What soothes your heart and its longings?

Thank you for being a part of my weekly photo challenge. This too gives me comfort. Have a blessed day to all.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, Love, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Comfort

1. Gloverlee says:

You portrayed so beautifully with your words and pictures what comfort should be!! And I consider myself to be a daughter of the sea, so the salt water calls to me as well. My husband will tell you I am most comfortable at the beach. Thanks for sharing!!

2. hanadeyl says:

Thanks for sharing. That was lovely to read.

3. As I get older I really enjoy being at home. That brings me comfort.

Great post.The most comfort thing is our family and home as you write.
    Whenever we get home, we can feel relax and thank to our family. Have a good day. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Being at home with our family is one of the most comforting and beautiful experience of all. Their presence gives us joy and assurance that eveything will be alright. A blessed day to you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

5. Pingback: Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge – Comfort | I Choose Happy Now

6. thanks for ping back. I loved the way you described your comfort zone. To be honest I always felt that Europeans and Americans have a superficial attitude towards relations, sorry for that! But you changed my view…

• I’m glad you like the post .I’m happy too that it changed the way you think. Well partly, I have adapted the American way of life but mostly I grew up in a country strongly influence by Faith with family relations so strong that we even have extended families. But I met a lot of Americans that truly value their families as well , sometimes even more than the one’s I’ve seen in my previous country. We can not really generalized an “all good , all bad ” kind of concept. I think anywhere we go, it will never be perfect but for as long as we become an example of what a loving family should be, there is hope that well- bonded families can still exist. Have a blessed day my friend. Thanks for the comment.

7. Louise says:

As usual I love how the love for your family comes across.

I love the lines, “There’s a magical comfort when two hands meet. It gives you a sense of assurance, of being cared for. It makes you feel that you matter, or needed. It can ease any pain, provides healing and soothe the longings of a lonely heart.”

Your post gave me a sense of comfort.

Cheers,
    Louise

• Thanks Louise. It is truly magical to hold your spouse hand or child . As I parent, I know that you also feel like you’re on cloud 9 when your son hugs you , kiss you or hold your hand as he leads you to see toy creations or simply anything he wants you to be a part of. This in one reason I wake up each ready with a smile on my face. Have a blessed day my friend. Best wishes to you and your family.

A lot of comfort going on here ๐Ÿ™‚ Great post and wonderful thoughts!

• Yep, Angeline…so much comforting stuff in it…It was a fun and beautiful weekend for my family and I just want my blogger friends to be a part of it. There’s comfort in sharing as well as receiving such heart warming comments. Thank you . A blessed day to you and your family.

9. MOL says:

Great entry! Enjoyed it very much!

What a wonderful post on comfort..that really made me think!
    It is so easy to see how much you love and treasure your family.
    Many many Blessings my very dear friend

• It’s my family that gives me comfort day in, day out, 24 hours a day. Thank you my friend for sharing my post as always. That too gives me comfort knowing I have a friend at the other side of the Globe. God bless you always and your family.

11. Maggie L R says:

I love the way you tell a story. The comfort of family is everything. Thanks for such a great description of your love for your son. Enjoy him every minute of every day. children are so special.

• I will enjoy every minute of it….he’s growing so fast. It’s amazing how he has grown. Children are just heaven’s gift to us. My son brings out the best in me and my wife. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend full of blessings.

12. wolke205 says:

Wonderful post my friend ๐Ÿ™‚ The comfort of family & friends is so important. I only would add animals to it. The feeling of galopping with my horse through the forrest is just incredible. Children & animals are not soo different, they need our attention, that we take care and love love love. No words can describe the wonderful love we get back ๐Ÿ™‚

All the best to you & your family, Frauke

• Thanks my friend. I agree that children, our family and animals brings us comfort and that we should love them and take care of them. It’s the least we could do for the happiness they bring into our lives. All the sweet blessings to you and your family.

13. poemonapage says:

This post is very soothing as well. Makes me think love for love’s sake is a great thing. Makes me believe in family bonds. Makes me wanna take a dip in the sea. Makes me wanna hold a teddy bear again, as if I were still a little girl.
    What soothes me? My favorite music, I guess. My friends’ love and devotion. My family. And the love I get from people, whoever they are.

Now I’ll copy and paste the reply to a comment you kindly left on my blog. I guess you didn’t read it (don’t worry about it! no problem at all!), so here it is:

Thank YOU.
    I always find it surprising when someone stops from doing what theyโ€™re doing and starts reading my pages. Itโ€™s flattering, but at the same time quite odd โ€“ I mean, sometimes I think I do not deserve their attentionโ€ฆ So, thank you very much for stopping by. Itโ€™s an honor for me to have an English-speaking reader โ€“ I LOVE English. Just out of curiosity: where are you from exactly? I assume you also speak Italianโ€ฆ am I right?

Take care.
    Paola

• What a beautiful and generous comment, Paola. Thank you. I was and still is honored to have read your posts. Just amazing poetry, very moving and full of emotion and zest for love and romance. The photos, just as mesmerizing as the words that goes with them. I wish I could speak Italian but I can’t. WordPress has a translation feauture which proves useful but sometimes there are things that doesn’t need translation because they are universal such as ” beauty” in images that any eyes can appreciate. Have a blessed day my friend and I wish you all the love and happiness….

14. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Comfort | Hasten Home blog

15. thirdhandart says:

A very beautiful post! I love the Build-A-Bear stores. We made a stuffed bunny for our youngest daughter at one of them years ago. She still has it. It’s amazing how much comfort a stuffed animal can bring to a small child.
    Thank you for the pingback. Have a blessed day!

• My son can’t go to sleep without his comfort blanket and his favorite stuffed animal. Currently he has Charmander and Daniel. I can’t remember If I had one as a boy but now I get to see and experience the joys and wonders of childhood through him. Thanks for sharing and God bless you and your family always.

16. There are three things that bring me comfort.. family, giving back, and blogging. I never knew blogging could relax me as much as it does. And I love this beautiful post

• Just like you, blogging brings me so much comfort, satisfaction , happiness and fulfillment . it’s also addicting. As for family , they are always first for me. I admire you for your generous heart. Giving back is a reflection of a pure and generous heart. Your blog is beautiful because its written by a person with a beautiful heart. Have a wonderful weekend.

17. Hands: the power they possess. There is no greater feeling than to know that without words the feel of a hand can make the love of two: one.
    Loving photo …
    Isadora

• Wonderful words Isadora. Just love the way you wrote, “There is no greater feeling than to know that without words the feel of a hand can make the love of two: one.” Thank you and have a blissful weekend.

18. looks like a very nice place!

19. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Comfort… | Mirth and Motivation

20. ElizOF says:

Another thoughtful and beautiful post… Comfort comes through many things and our loved ones are an important part of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. jakesprinter says:

Great and Lovely Collection Nice POST:)

You always find the right words to express your feelings. I love reading your blogs. I feel happy for you that you had such a good time with your family on that island where you could totally relax and enjoy life. Looking at your photos I can imagine how very much you must have loved your stay on that island. Happy children are an immense joy.

Our 26 year old grandson has two lovely girls aged 4 and 3 years. He emailed us some photos of the girls the other day. To see the two darlings in these photos was an immense joy for us, especially since we hadn’t been able to see our great-grandchildern for many years. We’re so happy because the photos tell us that the girls are growing up in natural surroundings ( they love gardening!) and being healthy and happy and loved. This is so good to know!

• Thank my friend for such a generous sharing. I enjoyed hearing about your great love and affection to your grandson and your great grandkids. I wish one day my son will meet his grandparents from my side of the family. He would be surrounded with love and affection. Yes, the Islands gave me so much. It made me who I am now . This is partly one reason that I always miss it. As they say, ” you can change your clothes but underneath those garments is still the same you.” Wishing you and your family peace , love and happiness.

23. aRVee says:

I love it how you always break down your story into segments.. The first picture I thought I was seeing the back of Gerald Anderson and Charlene Gonzales (as mentioned by our friend John Tugano to which I agree), haha, but no I am reading your post, the blogger as gifted as The Island Traveler, you remind me of Sony boy and Nelson RN …

I agree, the beach is sanctuary to me too (it will be my photo for this week’s). Gives me so much comfort when I’m at the beach…

Seems to me you like Galveston a lot and by the looks of it, it’s a beautiful place, so no wonder.

Thanks for sharing my friend, it’s always a joy to read how you love your family. Stay blessed and have a great day! ๐Ÿ™‚

• My friend you made me blush. I’m trully flattered. By the way congrats for the Versatile award from Sony. Well deserve in every way. I love the beach. When I’m close to the ocean, everything seems perfect . It feels like home each and every time. I’m glad to share my stories with you and those that I frequently visit. It feels like being around family…..that’s so sweet and comforting would you agree? God bless you my friend and your family.

• aRVee says:

So sweet indeed. Yeah on the award thing, can I award it to those who already won/nominated or I have to choose another?

Yeah thanks for sharing your stories with us, I enjoyed reading your posts..

Stay blessed and have a great day! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Yes my friend, you can give it to someone who already received the award in the past. There’s no strict rules about it. Congrats again and have a wonderful weekend.

24. I like your comfort zone. I love knowing there are men like you out there. Your wife and son are blessed

• Thank you. I’ll take that as a compliment. I try my best although I do have some short comings too. I grew up seeing my dad doing everything he can for me and my siblings. He was and still is my role model. I hope to follow his footsteps if I can. Have a blessed weekend.

25. Cheryl says:

Beautiful image, sentiments and words!

26. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Comfort « Cheryl Andrews

27. thedailydish says:

Another wonderful post, IT. I find comfort in the very same things. ๐Ÿ™‚

• It feels great to know that someone out there shares the same things that bring me comfort. In a way love for family, memories of the sea and kid’s comfort blankets are universal. Thank you and have a fun weekend.

28. john tugano says:

I always consider my family as a source of my comfort just like you,Bro.I don’t know whats going to happen next if they’re not with me.Whenever I’m sad they are the one whom I run with and share my feelings about things that perturbs me..I consider myself as Mama’s boy that I often cling with her mostly with regards to decision making.She is also the one that takes good care of us whenever we have sickness..Truly she is a source of comfort.

I have grown myself loving the beach since I am also from an Island surrounded by water and its not surprising that it would be my silent sanctuary if ever I’m tired of things..Sometimes I just want to be alone and I want to go to beach to listen to the calmness of the waves.

hAAY,You made me feel quite nostalgic with your post bro.You were this good when it comes to putting emotions on your story..I’ll never get tired reading your post it serves as my vitamins..

• Thanks Bro…you kind of sound like me. I was close to my mom too. I was sickly as a kid and she’s the one who took care of me or stayed with me when I’m at the hospital. So in a way, I too was a mama’s boy but I think its cool to be close to our moms because one day we may have to go somewhere far and we won’t be physically close to them as we want too. My son also is close to his mom but since this Summer after our adventures together, we got really close and now he would look for me before he goes to sleep. It’s a wonderful feeling. As for the beach, just like you, it’s part of who we are and where we came from. The Islands will always call us no matter where we are. Thanks again for sharing . Best wishes to you and your family.

29. 2e0mca says:

An interesting post – For me it highlights how different some of our comforts are. Being close to the sea holds no comfort for me – I’m a aeronaut at heart. But, that clasping of hands, the arm round the shoulder – That’s comfort. Nice post ๐Ÿ™‚

30. knot2share says:

One may feel too caught up in the family. But it is the same family that holds you and comforts you when it is most needed. That familiar touch, hug and kiss from loved ones around us, is all that we need. I agree and as always you have a dreamy way of putting all this in your writing. Loved reading it and thank you for teaching us what is important in life.

• Thank you for sharing such beautiful words of comfort. I can tell how you too value the presence of family and friends in our lives. And I agree 100% when you said,”That familiar touch, hug and kiss from loved ones around us, is all that we need.” When we are at home, or our heart longs for a friend, nothing can be more comforting than a a hug, a kiss and a touch. Have a wonderful weekend and best wishes to you and your family.

31. winsomebella says:

Lovely, warm and beautiful images and words. So comforting!

32. Beautiful post. You have such a wonderful way of describing your family, stay blessed!!

• My family inspires me in so many ways. I hope that one day when my son has a family of his own , he will read this post and he would remember the special moments he had with his mom and dad. I do feel blessed, everyday. A blessed and wonderful day to you and your family as well.

33. The sleepy little half-smile is adorable!

Holding my son and having him hug me around the neck brings me comfort. So, too, does engaging in conversation like this and reveling in the connectedness I revel in experiencing via blogging. I love it.

• Thanks Deborah. The sweetest moments are the one’s that we are affectionate to our kids or them to us. This moments are beyond description. All I know is that my heart feels so happy whenever my son gives me a hug, an embrace or a kiss. Now I know why my parents always appreciates gestures of affection from me or my sisters. It’s just a heavenly moment. I too enjoy sharing thoughts with my blogger friends as well as blogging . It makes each day more meaningful. Have a blessed weekend my friend. Wishing you and your son endless days of happiness.

34. Once again IT, this was another heartwarming and beautiful post! I just love how devoted you are to your family. I share the same sentiments as you do about family. After all, family is who loves us unconditionallyโ€”as do we them. By the way, I include my pets as family too! In addition to family, I would have to say that I find comfort in doing acts of charity. It always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Also, I agree with you about finding comfort in being close to the sea. I am fortunate enough to share that comfort too. My hubby and me love the gentle ocean breezes that give us peace and serenity. Nonetheless, I would also add spirituality to my comfort list. This brings me comfort each day. There is lots of other stuff that bring me comfort (i.e., nature, sunsets, relaxing music, etc.), but there is not enough space here to list them all. Ha! Ha! I find comfort in knowing that I am simply here today reading your blog. Iโ€™m so glad that you decided to share your heartfelt words and beautiful photos here. The photos of your son embracing those stuffed animals are very heartwarming indeed. As always, beautifully said! ๐Ÿ™‚

35. You are so true to your name ” Wordswithpurpose.” Such a generous, sincere and heartfelt words. I learned so much about you today by simply reading the thoughts you shared. You’re a loving person , affectionate, full of compassion, have a huge heart for sharing and giving, a lover of the sea, has strong spiritual roots that reflects in what you do or say. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts with me and to those who will read this post. It has brought me a great deal of inspiration today. You made me happy with words of encouragement and motivation. God bless you and your family always.

36. pix & kardz says:

thank you for sharing these words of comfort. while my ‘comfort’ post was a bit lighthearted, i also agree that the gift of family is incomparable – and for the record i am grateful for mine ๐Ÿ™‚ blessings to you and your family, too.

37. munchow says:

Very nice pictures all of them. You are very good with colours and mood. I really got caught by the first picture with the couple holding hands on the deck. The softness and the subtle colours really emphasize the feeling of comfort and peace. The limited palette around blues underlines the expression. Good composition and framing.

• I love the first photo too more because it was me and my wife in that photo and it was my 5 year old son who took the picture. priceless moment that brought me joy and comfort. Thank you for the wonderful comment. Have a great weekend.

38. Connie T says:

Very nice comfort pictures.

Family is the precious gift on earth. Love your photos, and thanks for sharing your warm and beautiful images. ๐Ÿ™‚

40. jhirzel88 says:

I saw the picture with your son in the air ready to make a splash. You must have had to time that just right, because it was taken just before he landed.

As for my comfort zone, I feel comfortable when I am in the classroom learning. It brings a positive influence of being able to do what I need to do to acheive my future career.

You are really a devoted husband, IT. Stay the same … I couldn’t add more to that.

God bless your beautiful family.