The Heart In Every Christmas Tree

What Makes A Christmas Tree Truly Bright?

Finally, my family and I were able to put up our Christmas Tree with fully functioning lights to lit our home at night. Instead of placing it near our fireplace which we did for the past 2 years, we decided to put it on our second floor walkway that faces directly to a large foyer window from the front and the formal living room from its back. Without any decor, it stands beautifully on its own with all its simplicity.

This year, my wife and I decided not to place any of the “blinding” ornaments that we used to adorn our tree and just go minimal. I thought it was too minimal until I turned on the lights a few days ago. I was silent for a long time, just staring at it. It reminded me how my life should have been. A life that is simple, non-glittered, uncomplicated and non-materialistic.

As I unfolded the leaves and arrange the lights, my son showed me the picture letters he made for me , my wife and Santa whom he addressed as Santa K for Santa Claus. I marveled at the pure innocence of his thoughts. The words were honest and sincere, showing a lot of affection. The drawings bright and joyful.

We decided to place the picture letters under the Christmas Tree. My son was happy and excited about it. He helped me eagerly as we placed his work one by one around the tree. My wife wondered what the excitement was all about as she made for us a quick night desert of mixed fruit salad with cream.

On the first picture letter my son wrote, ” I made a Pokémon for Santa K. ” In my mind I told myself, ” That’s really cute. It was an obvious clue that he wants Santa to bring him anything Pokémon.”

The second picture letter stated, “This is for Santa and I made a chick with his mom. ” I asked him first before he wrote “his” if the chick was a boy or a girl. He said, “It’s a boy, dad.” It made me reflect that perhaps he’s the chick and the mother hen was his mom. Seemed sensible, right?

I got confused initially with the third picture letter, so I asked my son what he meant by it. He said with a sweet smile, “I made Santa K a hat and for his elf.” I replied with, “Oh, that is one cool hat for Santa and his elf.”

The forth one was easy. He wrote, “I made a Christmas Tree with presents and a star.” This time I was the one smiling. He wrote his name in all the gift boxes. I guess he knew that most if not all, the presents under the tree will be all his. After all, a large part of Christmas and the spirit of gift giving are celebrated for our children. It’s the least we could do for all the happiness and meaning they brought into our lives. With them around, it often feel like Christmas for us parents. Children are our treasured gift that we cherish the most in this world.

My son read with me the fifth picture letter. He read loudly and lovingly, ” And I made you a reindeer and I made presents in your bag and I made you a sleigh.” I told him, “Wow, Santa is so lucky!”

One of my son’s favorite story and song is about the Gingerbread man. We would play together and he would repeatedly sing, “Run, run Gingerbread man. Run as fast as you can.” We take turns on who’s the Gingerbread man. Guess who wins all the time? Yep, It’s my 6-year old. It’s like “Flash” vs the “Turtle Man.”

So, what’s the heart of every Christmas Tree? The heart of the Christmas Tree is the love we put into it. It’s the love our family shared with one another as we prepare ourselves during this Holiday season. It doesn’t matter if it’s made of sticks and colored paper or an extravagant tree made of expensive ornaments and trimmings. What matters is that we have someone to share it with. That on Christmas day, we have someone to share our lives with, to dream with, to celebrate with and to make wonderful, timeless memories with.

Before I went to work last night, my son asked me to open a present made of green paper. He kept asking me excitedly, “Open it dad, open it.” I said, “But it’s not Christmas yet.” He insisted and said, “Just open your surprise dad!” So I did.

His present was a wreath made of prints from his hand with a signed quote at the bottom. I went to work filled with happiness in my heart. I said to myself, “They are all I need for Christmas.”

Happy Holidays to all. May your days be filled with love, happiness and peace. May the light that brightens your Christmas Tree be a light that comes from a loving and generous heart.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, family, Post A Week 2011 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to The Heart In Every Christmas Tree

1. Arindam says:

IT this post is full of love & emotion. I hope this is what Christmas all about. Sharing & celebrating joy, happiness with your dear ones. Although,I do not have much idea about Christmas, but one thing i know and i am sure it’s true that- Christmas is the festival of all the joy, happiness & togetherness. Thank you for this post.
    All the best wishes to a person who shares happiness; not only with his family members but with everyone. Happy Holidays to you bro. 🙂 Enjoyyyyyyy

• Bro, that is one cool comment. I appreciate the warm gesture. You are right, “Christmas is the festival of all the joy, happiness & togetherness.” It is whom we celebrate it that matters the most. Wishing you and your family love, happiness and peace this Holidays and everday. Thank you.

2. Elyse says:

Beautiful piece, with love shining through every word. Nicely done.

3. You have written a perfect description of what Christmas should be.
    It’s about the simplicity of the little things. The ones that don’t have
    to cost anything. At times, we lose focus and don’t enjoy the holidays because
    of all the pressure we put upon ourselves. It is a seaon for family and those
    we hold dear. These may not always be family, for whatever reasons, but
    love doesn’t always need to have a specific name.
    Blessings to you and your family during this spiritual time of year.
    May your hearts be filled with overwhelming joy now and throughout the year.
    Isadora

• You are so right when you said, “It’s about the simplicity of the little things. The ones that don’t have to cost anything. At times, we lose focus and don’t enjoy the holidays because
      of all the pressure we put upon ourselves.” I experienced them first hand and it’s one way of easily losing the real, pure spirit of the HOlidays. Family, friends, love and generosity, gratitude and thougthfulness, faith and religion, these are the ones that make Christmas worth celebrating year after year. Thank you. Wishing you and your family all the blessings everyday speacially this Holidays.

4. RVingGirl says:

What a wonderful post. Your son speaks volumes with his art work!
    A beautiful tree and a beautiful heart felt post!
    Celebrate the birth of our savior with your lovely family….

• Thank you. Christmas is all about family and the much awaited birth of Jesus. A birth that gives all of us a sense of hope that blessings will com our way and that a new dawn of salvation is upon us all. Wishing you and your family the joys of Christmas and everyday.

5. aRVee says:

Cool. Another great moments with your son. I’m pretty sure he was so happy when he saw his picture letters placed ’round the Christmas tree. With the way you bring your son up, he will grow up secured as he has your full attention and appreciation of the things he do.

By the way your Christmas tree is indeed minimalist. Simple yet elegant. The lights bring life to it.

Have a great day my friend and stay blessed! 🙂

• My son was so happy and proud of his work. I really appreaciate kid’s art , more that it’s from my son. Simple things are beautiful. Sometimes Christmas gets so jaded with expensive glitters that the spirit of it all gets lost. I’m glad we chose to be minimal this year. Wishing you and your family all the blessings this Christmas and everyday. Happy New year to you, an awesome blogger friend.

6. The wreath is a treasure to save as he grows through the years. It’s fun to see our daughters’ artwork hang next to our grandson’s at this time of year.

• Thank you. I am planning to put his art works in a 12 X 12 scrapbook for those that are small enough to fit in it so I me and my wife can look at them in the years to come. . And may be I could frame the small ones , small enough to pass as Christmas ornaments. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your family all the blessings this Holiday Season….

7. what a beautiful tree and what lovely feelings……never seen a real Christmas celebration, always in movies….must be fun!

You have hit on the true meaning of Christmas. A wonderful reminder for all of us.

• Thank you. I long forgoten how wonderful and special it is to just celebrate Christmas in its purest and simpliest form. Sometimes it takes an event in our lives to understand or remember what is meaningful in our lives.Wishing you and your family a happy and memorable Christmas.

9. Tammy says:

That is a wonderful way to decorate. I still keep all of these type of pictures from my kids and put them out during Christmas.

• I should set aside a small treasure chest with all his works in it . Thanks for giving me an idea, now I can start decorating his tree with more of his works. My son would love the idea. Thank you.

10. MikeP says:

Seeing through the eyes of a child… uncluttered, focused, and forever giving. Happy Holidays!!!

• Yes, a child’s work, in my opinion is the purest beauty of all. To me they are priceless and holds a key to a happy and contended heart. We adults tend to forget that we can be happy with the simpliest of things. Thank you. Happy Holidays too.

11. semprevento says:

You shake your hand because you are an infinite sweetness.
    Where there are children, it’s Christmas.
    it is nice to feel the serenity in your words.
    kiss
    vento

• I agree, when there are children, the is Christmas….and it can feel like Christmas all year round if we want too. Not the shopping part but the warmth and joy it brings. In todays ailing world, we all need some cheering. Thank you . Wishing you and your family a happy Christmas filled with love and peace.

12. thirdeyemom says:

Beautiful post as always! I love the tree too! All our ornaments are sentimental is a way. I is cluttered yet each one has a special meaning. Each year I have my kids paint an ornament and place their picture inside. When they leave the home someday I will give them their 18 years of ornaments. I though they would enjoy that!

• Thank you. You just gave me an idea about the “one ornament per year till 18.” It’s going be like a father and son activity for me. I admire your loving and giving heart to your kids. Very inspiring. Merry Christmas to you and your love ones.

13. barb19 says:

I love your tree and the way your son’s pictures are all around it – it must have mad him feel proud to see his own work placed there. Simple things are always the best, you and your son prove that with every post you write my friend.
    Blessings to you and your family.

• Thanks Barb. He was so proud and excited about the whole concept. Yes, simple things are always the best, and sometimes it takes a child to remind us just that. Wishing you and your family all the warm and happy blessings in life.

14. thirdhandart says:

A simply beautiful Christmas Tree that’s adorned perfectly with precious artwork. May your heart always be filled with the happiness that comes from having a loving family. Happy Holidays!

Beautiful. I also prefer simple. I enjoyed seeing your son’s artwork. The innocence of children is so precious!

16. MOL says:

I have kept every ornament my daughter made when she went to nursery school through kindergarten, except the edible ones for obvious reasons. We still put them on the tree every year. It’s a lot of fun to look at and remember the little child who excitedly brought them home. That was a long time ago. But the ornaments are such wonderful remembrances of a time long past. Have a great time creating memories!

• I wish to look at my Old Christmas tree years from now and watch the memories flow like images from a video screen. Memories of my son and our times together. I may shed some tears but I’m sure they will be tears of a man who knew he was loved by an amazing son and that he was given a chance to love him as well together with his wife. They will be tears of joy and gratitude. Stuff like this makes me realize that growing old is a beautiful and meaningful journey. Merry Christmas to you my friend and your family.

17. yen says:

It’s a beautiful Christmas tree, Sir! This is a full-of-love-and-gratitude post and I’m blessed by it. I pray that God would continue to bless you and your family with His wonderful love, His joy and His peace that passes all understanding!

This post is very touching. I agree with “all I need for Christmas. ”
    The hand wreath is awesome and shows your son’s pure heart. On that day your job must be well done. Happy great holidays.

19. jhirzel88 says:

I wanted to take a close look at the pokemon picture to see what your son drew. I noticed Onix, Staryu, Unown, Swablu, and Tentacool in there. Yep, I remember those pokemon. They’ve been around for a while. I can see that your son likes drawing the old ones, because there’s a lot of new ones. I stopped playing with pokemon 5 years ago to know what they are.

I’m glad your son is determined to put lots of effort to get more presents. He has more Christmas spirit than me and my siblings ever had.

• “Onix, Staryu, Unown, Swablu, and Tentacool…” I sincerely know only Picachu and Salmander…so, I’m impressed that you know all of them. i didn’t even realize there were 5 Pokemon in there. I thought I saw 2 main ones. Thanks for sharing you thoughts about it. My would borrow several Pokemon DVD’s and watch them like glue. lately he’s been watching the old Star Wars like Return Of The Jedi….amazing! I wish you a happy Christmas as well as your family.

• jhirzel88 says:

Yeah, at one time I memorized all of the pokemon back when there were only 150. Now, there’s over 300.

I got too addicted to the show. When I was around 15, my mom asked me to stop watching that show because it was interfering with my homework. I never watched it since.

• My goodness..300? I can’t even memorize the names in my very short phone lists!!! It must had been fun when you are into them. My son looked so happy and excited when he talks about Pokemon…the joys of being a child is just awesome!

20. jhirzel88 says:

Oh crud, I forgot to mention your son’s gingerbread man picture. That gingerbread man looks totally evil with the red and green eye and that wacky smile. It’s not your typical gingerbread man.

• Hmm , knowing my son, he probably made an alien or zombie gingebread man. He’s also crazy about aliens and zombies. I guess he got that from me. Now I need to look back again, I didn’t notice the red and green eye since I took the picture at night and I was a bit tired when I made the post. Thanks for sharing your observation. Stay cool my friend.

21. jakesprinter says:

A perfect Christmas story my friend truly a great work 🙂

22. I can’t think of a post of yours yet that hasn’t left me feeling twice as good after reading it as I did before, but this one is especially sweet. Thank you for these warm wishes, which are very much returned to you and yours!

• Thank you. Coming from one of the bloggers I admire for their heart and work, that means a lot to me. They say(or I just made it up), “the window to a person’s heart and mind is his/her blog post.” I agree because from personal experience, it’s through writing that I can express my deepest thoughts, feelings, experiences whether bad, good or painful. It keeps me feeling human and real. Wishing you and your family a blessed and happy Christmas.

23. Awww I love all the beautiful pieces of art drawings you have displayed here. As always, I am loving this post.. it definitely puts me in the Christmas mood 🙂

24. Connie T says:

The tree looks wonderful. Be sure and frame that hand wreath. My son made a picture using his hand once in school. I framed it and hung it in his room. I love that picture as much as any expensive art. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your lovely family.

• I will frame it as suggested. Thank you. It’s my little boy’s priceless art with a huge love for his parents. Thanks for sharing your son’s story of his art work which to this day you treasure with affection in your heart. Just adorable! Wishing you and your family a happy and beautiful Holidays…

25. IsobelandCat says:

You’re right. This simply decorated tree is so much more beautiful than the gaudy over-dressed ones.
    Lovely metaphor.

• Thank you. This Christmas is the most simple we had but it’s the most memorable. I realized that all I need are the two most important persons in my life to have genuinely Merry Christmas. My wife and son completes my holidays.

26. You post left me with wistfulness, hopefulness, the beauty of innocence and a happy heart. Merry Christmas

• Thanks my friend. I’m glad you enjoyed the post. It’s a celebration about our families and our love for each other. That no matter how much less we have materially, it’s being with them that makes us happy and at peace.

Your son is equally blessed with a dad like you — like my son. I think I should say. Hehe … You inspired me more to support whatever effort my son gives to us. I won’t be surprised if he’s going to be famous anytime soon. I guess, all he needs are your love and support to get there. 😉

Kudos to your talented son, bro!

28. thedailydish says:

Wonderful post, IT. I love the cards your son made but I like your wreath the best. Hang and enjoy it proudly. Our children are the greatest gifts. Merry Christmas!

29. This is a wonderful post! It’s full of warmth and true heart of Christmas. Wish you and your family the Merriest Christmas!!! ~Sophia

I love the look of the tree… less is more. It is inviting. Happy Holidays to you and yours! 🙂

31. wordsfallfrommyeyes says:

So so gorgeous – and yes, simple. Your son must be thrilled having his artwork on the internet! Tell him I think the pictures are fantastic – very colourful 🙂

You’re such a great family man. Bless you !

• I will. He was so happy that we took pride and delight in his work. One day your son will too start scribbling and making beautiful art works. Happy Holidays and love wishes to you and your son.

32. I was just reading this.. and I thought… ‘you sound like me’. I can see you are a very special person in your family… you reflect them well. I’m glad I looked here as, I’ve been writing about our Christmas tree. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas holiday.

• Thank you. Anyone who adores their family and loves the holidays, I’m a fan…and I think even for those who don’t like the holidays much as long as theirs a “holiday” thought in their post. Merry Christmas to you and your love ones…

33. cuhome says:

Beautiful and heart-warming post!

34. Barb says:

I think the “hands” wreath is my favorite. I love what it symbolizes. It warms me to look at it. Thanks. Your posts are lovely as always.

35. Christmas is definitely more fun when it can be shared with children! They are precious blessings and I know you will cherish these memories forever!

• Children are a gift from heaven. It’s them that makes Christmas bright and merry. As for the memories, something I’ll treasure and cherish for always. Wishing you all blessings during the holidays and everyday.

• I will. If such memories makes me smile now, imagines when I’m 60, sitting by the balcony, watching the sun rise across a quiet horizon. I feel blessed to have the chance to enjoy all these. Have a wonderful day my friend….