No Shoes

This morning, I was excited to head for school with my son since we left the house early, avoiding the usual rush and traffic brought about by late parents trying to beat the clock. I was confident everything was in order. I looked at my son as he walked to the car with his bag and jacket. Yes, it was a cold, chilly morning. I made sure he also brought his new glasses which we forgot to bring to school a few days ago.

He makes me laugh and smile but there are rare days when he can turn my face red when my patience is at a low threshold. Yes, I'm just human that occasionally wakes up at the wrong side of the bed.

As I parked the car, I excitedly told my son, “We’re here. Prepare your stuff.” When I opened the door to help him get out of the car, I was shocked to realize he wasn’t wearing shoes. I stared at his feet for a few seconds. I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or pull my hair out.

I asked him, “Where are your shoes?” He replied, “Don’t know.” I asked again, “Where are your shoes?” Sensing my annoyance, he said, “I can’t find it in the garage.” I answered back, “So, you rode the car without your shoes. Why didn’t you tell me?” He was quiet for a long time. Halfway to our house, he said , “It was mom’s fault. She placed it somewhere where I can’t find it.” Hearing that, I got more annoyed. I told him, “Don’t blame your mom. You need to be responsible for yourself and for your things.” More silence followed.

I hurriedly opened the garage and went to look for his shoes. Guess where I found it? Yep, it was at the most obvious place,  just outside the door leading to the house. I told him, “Here are your shoes. They were just outside the garage door.” This time he ran out of excuses. Luckily, we had 5 minutes to spare before the school bell rang.

Kids grow up so fast, before we know it they are all grown up and ready to take flight and make a mark of their own. Cherish these moments.

The incident taught us both a lesson. For me, I should not assume that everything’s fine. I still need to check personally that all are in proper order. For my son, that he should take some responsibility for himself and his actions. I know he’s only six but these are the years that learning and developing values are important. I bet I did something similar as a kid but I’m pretty sure my parents gave me some lecturing that made me straighten my act.

My wife wondered why it took me that long to go home. She told me that she heard the garage open but found no one. She said that either she was hallucinating or we have a ghost inside the house. I waited a few minutes before telling her what happened. We ended up laughing and decided to put a spare pair of shoes inside the car’s back compartment for future back-up.

Just before leaving for work that afternoon, I saw two  picture cards my son made for both me and my wife. I guess it’s his way of saying, “I’m sorry.” After reading them, I now I felt bad for being annoyed early that morning. I wanted to give him a hug but he and his mom went to a friend’s house. I told myself, I will surely give him a huge hug and a kiss as soon as I get back from work. And yes, I’m still the designated driver to bring him to school.

The adventures of parenthood never fails to amaze me. It’s like a fun and exciting roller coaster ride. Always full of surprises and tender moments. Moments that years from now will warm my heart when I  find myself missing my son as he journey into adulthood and follow his own path in this world.

Each one of us have some interesting stories of our kids and their school life. Some are funny, others bring us pride and joy even a few tears as they receive an honor or recognition for a job well done, and a few that may have increased our blood pressure as we find ourselves sitting at the principal’s office.

What’s your child school story or yours that became a part of your “Hall of fame” collection of memories?

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in family, kids, Life, parenting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to No Shoes

1. aRVee says:

Wow, just reading the first few lines, I was already laughing. Cool child, need I annoy you more? hahaha…

“I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or pull my hair out.” -both, haha…

On a serious note, good to know you were able to beat the time. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Kids can melt your heart or drive you crazy! ha, ha, ha….Now I know what my parents felt when all 6 of us siblings went haywire! Back then we didn’t know that sugar makes kids jump and act like they’re in Disneyland.
      Yes, it was a relief that we were not late although come to think of it now, I was notorious for being late all the way to college. Oh well, we’re never to late to change. Have a great day my friend.

2. 2e0mca says:

LoL – What can I say… Been there, seen it, done it. Well not the shoes – we walk to school so that one would get noticed the moment he stepped outside – but just about every other possible item to forget 🙂 Sometimes your love has to take the form of an angry rebuke – a young man has to learn responsibility.

Have a great day 🙂

• Words of wisdom from an amazing and loving father. You’re absolutely right, “a young man has to learn responsibility.” We need to teach them as much values and ways to handle themselves when around people. Respect, courtesy, honesty, kindness, being responsible are just a few….We can only do our best hoping our kids will turn out fine and ready to face the world in their own generation. Have a wonderful day.

3. Jenny says:

Great story and lessons learned. I get blamed for a lot of things. We are still teaching ownership for our actions and choices. It is safe to blame the mama because she will still love the child!

We are on the schedule of a school bus in the early morning. The night before the boys make sure the backpack is filled with everything they need (agenda book, reading or writing book for bus, flash light-because it is dark when they get on the bus, the gloves, hat and mittens they want, boots and and snowpants), coat and shoes are laid out right next to the backpack. Once or twice I was blamed for putting the wrong mittens or hat in there or forgetting something. That is when I learned they needed to pack the stuff they wanted.

• Thanks Jenny.You are one of the blog parents I admire. Every week is an adventure , discovery and learning in your family. Life with your 3 boys is just amazing. I learned something today from you. I will now let my son help prepare his bag every night as well as the stuff he needs to bring to school everday. Kids feel that they are a part of something and indirectly develop a sense of responsibility when they participate on any household/school acitvity.Wishing you and your family a New Year full of wonderful blessings.

4. xandreverkes says:

So innocent… & yet I can understand your annoyance!!! 🙂 I definitely don’t have kids yet, but I’m pretty sure that my short temper would not have handled the situation quite as good as you did!!! Kudos!!! 😀 **

• Thanks. My son teaches me to extend my patience everyday. He can be a handful. He is so active and full of ideas. And yes, he enjoys testing his mom and dad’s patience. The more we react, the more he strikes. ha, ha, ha. But when he is in school and silence engulfs the house, we miss him and all that he does like crazy. He makes us laugh to our heart’s content. One day, you too will be blessed with a precious child, and a beautiful journey will begin.

Oh, and the blood pressure gets a real work out when your teenage (daughter) gives you morning irritated attitude because you rushed her one too many times to hurry up and get in the car. Excuse me? Who, almost adult person, failed to wake up on time and made your mother repeatedly go and shake you awake? Who, I ask??
    Yes, I will have blessed day now. Thank you 🙂

• You made me remember how my mom used to get irritated when me and my siblings refuse to wake up and end up late for school. She eventually stopped stressing about it. After a couple of trip to the dean of descipline for being late, my siblings and I decided to wake up early. Thanks for sharing a piece of your school exprience with your daughter. Honestly, it feels good to talk about our joys and frustrations as parents. Only then do we realize we are not alone. Have a blessed day. Best wishes to your family.

6. haha…obviously this is a moment to treasure and you are reflecting on it as such. I remember picking up daughter #1 from preschool after school one day. The teachers were all laughing. They couldn’t wait to see the expression on my face. Seems dad had dropped her off in her pajamas completely skipping the “getting dressed for school” part. Oh my…

• In her pajamas? Okay that made me feel a bit better. I can see myself doing a similar thing too. Sometimes, his school has a pajama day and I can see myself possibly getting confused with dates. The sweet joys of parenthood and the memories of school with our kids are trully priceless. These are the times that will warm our hearts when we get older and our children having families of their own. God bless you and your love ones.

I love kids at this age….that he sat silent all the way to school with no shoes on is too funny! But yes, must teach responsibility, and yes we get irritated with our kids at times. I have four, triplets plus one more, and the stories I can tell from when they were little might make your hair curl ! They take care of me now 🙂

• It was funny how he was quiet thinking I won’t notice. I admire your amazing parenting skills and great love for your children. Triplets plus one is a challenge but you made it with flying colors and a few small hair curls…..Wishing you and your family a lot of beautiful memories ahead.

8. Treasure the moments..i still remembered the first time i took my then 7 year old daughter to kindergarten with her red hello kitty roller bag as if it was just yesterday. Compared that moment when i took her to the US to study for College just two years ago. What can i say but i had the same feelings as when i left her in preschool! So capture and savor the moment with your son..good thing there’s blogging. :o)

• Good thing there’s blogging, right? Oh, wow you already have a college kid. I still have a long, long way to go. You’re right, may it be preschool or college, they will always be our little angels. We will never forget the sight and feeling of bringing them to school on thir first few days in preschool and kindergarten. Thanks . Have a wonderful day. Best wishes to your family.

9. tmso says:

Oh! That is such an endearing story. I’m sure he won’t forget his shoes again.

You are a wonderful writer and a wonderful father. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today 🙂

• Your welcome. I try my best. I have my moments when I loose my cool but somehow my son will device something that helps me cool down. He would do something that’s either funny or endearing that it’s hard not to laugh or hug him which exactly what I did the day after fresh from work. Kids…can’t do without them, right? Thanks. Have a wonderful weekend.

11. Fox@n says:

You sure know how to take care of your son. Keep it up.
    Great post.

12. Wonderful story with a happy ending! Sometimes it helps to remember that adults do absent-minded things, too. One day my friend came to my door for our early morning walk. I went outside and started walking down the sidewalk when she stopped and asked me, “New sneakers?” I looked down at my feet and I still had my slippers on! 🙂

• That is funny. I do the same thing every now and then. Sometimes I’m already at the grocery store when my wife would whisper to my ear, “Hey, your shirt is inside out!” If I’m on my lazy mood, I would usually say, “Oh, it’s in nowadays,” and leave it as it is. I call it my bloopers…and I have to many of them to count. They do make us laugh though…and they say, “laughter is the best medicine!” Have a great day my friend.

13. Elyse says:

Lovely story. I’m putting my son’s extra shoes in the back of the car now, it’s such a good idea. Of course, my son is 20.

• Still a good idea…perhaps I should put one for myself too. Sometimes I drive just wearing slippers not knowing I’m suppose to be wearing shoes on certain occassions. Thanks for sharing . Must be amazing to have a 20 year old son. So much memories to cherish!

Good story. There is something impressive in daily life.You can find and express them. Nice post. 🙂

15. One thing´s for sure – children never fail to surprise us!

16. Oh, IT, what a great post. I love the two cards and his little handwriting on them. You’ll treasure this post.

Parenting is a roller coaster ride and our kids never cease to surprise us with stuff… You acted like any normal parent would so don’t feel bad. I always ask: What’s the lesson in this? You got it! An extra pair in the car…. just in case. I loved your story and would have to think of something to share. 😉

18. MikeP says:

So,So … true on many levels. My kids are much older but your adventure brings back many vivid memories. Sometimes you just want to cry out… but most of the time laughter takes over. Which is a good thing. I would like to say it gets better but even as they get older they always find something to STEP in. All my best…. enjoy life!!

• Thanks Mike. Reading other parents thoughts and experiences always gives me a invaluable lesson or two. Parenthood is a gift, a constant cycle of learning, loving, joys and tears but more importantly, it’s one of the best reason to feel alive….really alive.

19. What a funny yet endearing story. At least your son did not say that the monsters ate his shoes. As parents we have learned that kids will not run out of excuses.

• Well, I thought for a moment that he would say, “the zombies took it!” I guess he figured out I sounded serious and did not want to annoy me more. It’s amazing how our children can read our thoughts and body language. We were once in their shoes. I bet I made so much excuses as a child… Thanks for sharing.

20. jhirzel88 says:

Oh, I remember when I forgot to bring my glasses to school lots of times. I still forget things occasionally, because I got a mild case of autism, so I can only remember so much. I don’t let that condition stop me from doing what I need to do to accomplish things. Your son is at an age now where there are things that is just stupid to forget. Forgetting to wear shoes outdoors is one of those things.

• Your words inspired me today when you said, “I don’t let that condition stop me from doing what I need to do to accomplish things. ” If only all people think and live this way, then this world would trully be awesome and amazing. My son learned a lesson that day, so did I. Life is full of lessons to be learned . It’s what makes us better persons. Have a great day.

I almost cried when I reached the last part. My son was no different from yours when he makes up for his “silly acts” )for a lack of a better term. I mean he’s that sweet too. With regard your question, I actually don’t remember something as beautiful as the one you shared here but my parents always wanted us to excel. And, they always add that if we do, we will rise poverty. That was like a pasted literally and figuratively on my forehead.

Good day, bro! Tell your son he looks so good on your giant shoe. 🙂

I almost cried when I reached the last part. My son was no different from yours when he makes up for his “silly acts” )for a lack of a better term. I mean he’s that sweet too. With regard your question, I actually don’t remember something as beautiful as the one you shared here but my parents always wanted us to excel. And, they always add that if we do, we will rise from poverty. That was like a pasted literally and figuratively on my forehead.

Good day, bro! Tell your son he looks so good on your giant shoe. 🙂

• Sometimes I wake up and tell myself, ” I don’t deserve all these love and blessings. That I can’t believe God has blessed me with a wonderful son and a loving wife.” I got so much imperfections and through them, I get to glue myself together, body, mind, heart and soul. My parents also gave me education and I am who I am now because of them. Another blessing from heavens. Thanks for sharing. Always beautiful and inspiring. God bless you and your family always.

23. That picture of the boots was priceless. My daughter hated to wear shoes and most of the time never did. Three out of five days I would pick her up from school bare foot. Some how she would manage to lose her shoes. Punishment did not matter to her as long as her feet could breath. We tried all kinds from sandals to flip flops Nothing Worked.Finally around the 4th grade she stopped losing them. It was winter and she had her first pair of warm fur lined snow boots. For the next 3 years she refused to wear anything else even in the summer. Kids are funny creatures best to just roll with the flow and like you said keep a pair in the trunk.

• This is such a joy to read. And I would always remember this, “Kids are funny creatures best to just roll with the flow…” I truly enjoyed your story. I guess my son’s missing his shoes is just the beginning. The fun part of being parents, huh? Stay blessed my friend.

24. Arindam says:

What a beautiful story. Although I am 26 years old now, still when i am at home with my parents, every time i go outside, I forget to take either my cell phone or my bike’s key. And each time I ask my dad to please pass it to me. May be it happens because, I know my parents are there to take care of all those things i need. But when I am alone, l do not forget to take all those things. May be I know that I do not have any one to take care of me or I may say i know here I do not have any one who can correct me if I am wrong in life. Your words are always heart touching bro.

• Same here. When I’m at home, my parents takes care of me kind of in a way they used to when I was younger. It’s actually cool and it feel nice to be nurtured by your parents.In their eyes, we are still the little boys they used to take care of. I know that now because of my son. To me, he’s still my little baby although he’s already 6. Thanks for sharing .

25. The Hook says:

“Don’t know” is THE “go-to” answer far ALL kids!

• You are so right. “Don’t know…Uh-uh…not me…it’s dad or it’s mom…,” just a few of the adorable excuses of our little kids. I bet I used one of them as a child. The fun world of children keeps us all smiling and scratching our heads…Thanks.

26. muddledmom says:

So funny! Kids aren’t the only ones who mess up. I’m always afraid I’ll forget to change out of my slippers when I pick the kids up from school. One day, I’m sure I’ll look down and see them on my feet.

27. Huffygirl says:

My son had the same thing happen driving his 3 year old to daycare. Heard from the back seat: “Daddy, I’m not wearing any shoes.” What wonderful stories and what we will remember when our kids are long gone.

As for me, I went to a school run by mean nuns, so I rarely forgot to bring anything – the threat of mean nun anger was enough to make me organized.

• I went to school run by nuns too all the way to college. Can you believe that? Now I feel better after hearing the story of your son and his 3 year-old. Thanks for sharing. It made me smile…

28. Keri says:

Love this story. They always keeps you guessing, don’t they! 🙂

29. nelson RN says:

It’s amazing to be a father, isn’t it?! I also have so many stories about my son’s little antics. He just never ceases to amaze me 😀
    Cheers to fatherhood ! 😀

30. Jodi Lea says:

Your story sure knocked some memories from my brain this morning! My kids are in their 30’s now and they still will leave things behind when they visit. They do remember their shoes 😉
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and following along with me!

31. Ha, are you “dad” or “dud”? or “dude”? Sweet stuff…