Weekly Photo Challenge: Regret

Regrets From The Dreams We Follow

The best part of being alive is that we get to make new dreams as often as we like. This is my new dream...

I wish I can say that I don’t have any regrets but deep inside I do. I followed my dream for myself and my family 9 years ago when I left the country of my birth. At that time, I thought it was the best road for me. Perhaps it was and still is but somehow there’s a part of me that stayed in the Islands when I left it to pursue a dream.

We can go anywhere in this planet and call it home but the smiles of the people we love and the memories we spent with them can never be replaced. These are the sisters I grew up with. They made me see why women are truly beautiful. The goodness of their hearts made them sparkle like diamonds.

I was browsing my family’s Facebook photos today and I felt a heaviness in my chest as I watched their happy faces on every family events and gathering that I missed. For 31 years up until I said my final “goodbye” I was so close with my siblings and my parents. We were their for each other in every aspect of our lives. A lot of my happiest memories were surrounded by their presence from our trips to the beach to the birthdays and holidays we shared year after year.

I missed 9 years of witnessing moments like this. I may not be able to turn back time to get them back but I can always catch up and make new ones. It's never too late for as long as the heart of the islander traveler keeps beating.

Catching Up On Past Regrets

One of my regrets is not having enough time to spend with my parents when I still had the chance. I was away from them for a few years to finish my schooling and then my job required me to stay in another Island for days even weeks. The only time I get to see them were weekends, vacation days and sick time.

My dad told me one day, "Son, our doors are always open for you. When the right time comes, me and your mom are always here for you. " I started explaining that I got so much responsibilities that I yet to finish. He simply added, "Just come home..." I ran out excuses and was quiet for a while as his words echoed in my head..

I guess when you get older, you get to realize how life and its opportunities gets shorter and shorter. There’s this part of you that say, “I wish I did this, I wish I did that.” Starting last year, on my 4oth birthday, I embraced a new dream. That dream is to live life to the fullest for as much as I can. A simple yet meaningful life surrounded by love, contentment, happiness and peace. A life filled with joyful and warm memories with family and friends.

Stillness is when I get to say, "This is where I wish to stay for the rest of my life. That all I could ever want and need is here. I'm finally home..."

They say the best things in life are free. They are. The special endearing moments we spent with our family are the ones that will make us feel complete. These moments are the ones that will make us smile, that would make us glow, that would inspire us to overcome the odds. Yes, these are the memories that will make us say, “I am truly blessed to have lived a good life.”

Each bits and pieces of those memories that we were most happy and at peace counts. They help us go through life's most trying moments.

Bridging The Gaps Caused By Regrets

So, I do have regrets but instead of sulking I will use it to motivate me to find ways to fill in the gaps of the lost times that I missed.

I called my mom last month. I told her, “Guess what mom?” She replied jokingly, “Did you win the Lotto?” I told her excitedly, “No mom, better than lotto. I got approved to go home for a month.I’m finally going home.” There was a long silence, then a sniffle. I knew that she was wiping some tears at the other end of the line. I had to hold back tears when I imagined her crying, although I knew they were tears of joy.

Today is that day to say "I love you," to the people we care about. Today is the beginning of everyday to live a happy,meaningful, contented life inspired by love.

They say there’s no place like home. They were not kidding. For a lot of us, we can go anywhere around the world and call it our “new” home but deep down inside, we know it will never totally be.

I pray that we all have less regrets and more happy memories to experience and celebrate. Once again, life’s too short to waste precious time of opportunities. We all deserve happiness and love. Today is that day to open ourselves for it. No more excuses.

If given a second chance, what is that one regret you wish to make up for?

Weekly Photo Challenge: Regret (dailypost.wordpress.com)

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in family, Life, Love, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Regret

1. frizztext says:

congrats for your courage to leave the country of your birth!
    greetings by

OMG! Are you back home now? I know from previous posts that this indeed has been a dream for you, and you have made it happen. No more regrets!!!! I am so happy for you.

3. Patti Kuche says:

A wonderful post IT and so happy for you that you will be enjoying time with your family back in those beautiful islands, taking your little boy down memory lane and creating new ones for him with aunts, uncles and very proud grandparents. Wishing you happy times, wherever you are!

4. tmso says:

I wish I had traveled more. I’m glad you got a chance to go back home.

5. thirdhandart says:

A very beautiful post IT! Congratulations on getting approved to go home for a month! I hope you enjoy every moment of your visit. 🙂

6. wolke205 says:

I m so glad to hear that you are home for a month, that s wonderful 🙂 In one week I will be at my mom’s home for a few weeks, so I know exactly how you feel 🙂

Honestly, I don’t have any regrets. Why? I think all happens for a reason. Listen to the voice inside & follow its advices..that s all… But I understand your regret, that you haven’t spend more time with your family when you got the chance to every day. We need to be seperated from the ones we love to see how important they are for our lives. I can’t see my family often. Maybe 3 times a year for a few weeks. Sometimes I think it s sad, but I also tell myself that I spend more time with them in this few days than the years before in a couple of months 😉

My best wishes to you & your family, have a great time, hugs.

7. Now you will have lesser regret and more peace of mind after visiting your home and then you will go back to your work with a fresh mind. I pray that you not have any regret anymore….. Best wishes and have fun with your folks.

8. Beautiful pictures that accentuate the sweet expression of family. Having been away from my family for extended periods of time I understand the desire to go home.

9. Judy says:

goosebumps…..I had goosebumps reading your story. I’m so glad you got to go back home for a month. You are very happy where you are now…and that is wonderful. You have made peace with that. But home can be in many places…..and you carry your original home in your heart, I can tell. As a mom myself, I can relate to the tears of joy your mother felt when she heard you were coming “home”. Now no regrets…..

10. & what a wonderful new dream it is….. I hope, pray & believe that you will have no regrets!!! Keep well Island Traveller!!! 🙂 **

11. Sabina Brave says:

Wonderful story, and amazingly beautiful pictures 🙂

12. Maggie L R says:

I think deep inside all of us are some regrets, wishing we had spent more time with someone, taken a different path. Our choice is to make the best with where we are, and I see you doing just that. Great post.

13. Jackie Paulson says:

Dream on because it is in our hearts desire. I love to visit your photo’s dream it and it comes true.

I am so very happy for you that you have the opportunity to go home and spend time with your family. I hope you enjoy every moment 🙂

15. An inspiring post, Island. I’m so glad you’re spending precious time with your parents again. May you always be blessed with the life you desire.
    Thanks so much for the pingbacks.

16. Anita Mac says:

Wow – great post. True reflection on regret and a touching post. Thanks for sharing something so deep and personal.

17. Elyse says:

Beautiful, just beautiful. I too miss home and being close to family.

18. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Regret « Shutter bug

Have a safe journey! Savor the days, the conversations, the meals together. More than anything, these are what matter. Nothing else matters.

(sniffle, sniffle)…what a moving and touching story. It’s wonderful you will be able to spend some time with family! I think regardless of what paths we take in life, there will be some regrets. Thank you for sharing this story.

21. I know exactly how you’re feeling. When you see them and be back home, you will find answers to your questions. You will be more grateful for what you have now. So when you go back to the US after your “homecoming”, you will be more appreciative of life and embrace life more than you ever did. Trust me, it does something to you.

Life is too short to be anything but HAPPY.

I’m happy for you.

22. suitablefish says:

“That dream is to live life to the fullest for as much as I can. A simple yet meaningful life surrounded by love, contentment, happiness and peace. . .” a beautiful story, and I am so happy to hear you will be with your family again, that your son will meet all his aunties and uncles and grandparents. Home.

23. What wonderful news. I know you will share your joy with beautiful pictures.

24. Wow it’s such a beautiful post! Yeah, life is to be lived at the fullest!

25. I wish you and your family a very pleasant journey here in our country!
    Get ready for the heat (!) and more memories to build with your kins back home.
    Now that’s a great story for you to tell for another day….

@))–>>>——

26. rommel says:

Great photos. Wonderful words. Your blog is a keeper.

This post makes me rethink my priorities. I really got to take a moment, stop and think.

Your words are powerful.

That’s true. It’s precious to spend with family. We should not forget that. Great post. 🙂

Thank you. And to answer your question, with a second chance, I would say at this point of my life, there are no regrets only happiness because either I was a lesson for someone or someone gave me valuable lessons to learn. So, no regrets. You are a kind and caring soul. God bless you and your loved ones~ always.

29. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : { Regret } « lifebydmagdalene

30. Gilly Gee says:

What a beautiful post, I’m so happy that your dream has come true!

31. Very inspirational and lively. I’m so happy for your dream. Thanks again for the wonderful read.

32. jakesprinter says:

Great Entry I really love it 🙂

33. Beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family – there’s nothing like home 🙂

34. The challenge this week has brought about a lot of the written word as well as photos which is great and interesting too. Great photos with wonderful links inbetween.

35. munchow says:

A great post with so much insight and beautiful sentiments. I think your take on regrets are something we can all learn from. Yes, we have all done things in the past, that we probably would have done differently today, but instead of staying in the past and sulk about by-gone times, one ought to, as you have decided so compassionately and passionately, to live fully here and now and let love rain down on those who we care about. The best thing in the world is indeed free. Love. Thank you for such an inspiring post. So straight from the heart. And as always your photos are stunning.

36. jhirzel88 says:

Well, I can see that there is always something to look forward to, but sometimes it can be painful to witness when you have to leave them.

What is one thing that I would regret? Well, the major decision of whether I should move with mom or stay with my dad. That would change so much. The European Starling that crashed into the classroom window at my college, thus getting me into researching birds, would have never happened if I had not witnessed it. I would be going to a different college and I wouldn’t be in New Jersey like I am now. Also, since my dad is in the military, I can get more ahead in life in learning about his life.

37. Thank you for sharing some great photo’s and your thoughts…

38. cobbies69 says:

Great collection and mix of colours, well done..;)

39. yen says:

Oh wow! the picture of the door looks like fort san pedro. I wonder if you’re from cebu, too, sir?:) I do hope you’ll have the chance to go home and spend precious moments with your family.

40. amira says:

nice pictures 🙂
    the image of those scattered rose petals very cleverly shows regret 😀
    it says to me
    “I regret breaking apart” …

41. Jo Bryant says:

it is wonderful to hear your news about going home !!! this post had me in tears – of happiness for you

42. Arindam says:

Bro, I can tell you many of us, will get connected to your take on regret. We are all following our dreams, and we all know in order to do so, we all are missing something which is really important to us. I have not seen my parent’s face from past 9 months. This is for the first time something like this happening with me. I am really happy, hearing that, you are going to home. I know you are waiting for this. So go and grab lots of wonderful memories with the people you love & the place which means a lot to you. It will help you to pursue your dreams, with less regrets bro.

As always this post of so beautiful with lots of sentiments in it. As always , all my best wishes to that wonderful person, who is behind the mask & his family. 🙂

43. Pingback: 13 FEBRUARY 2012 : a world of regrets « 2012 – ON THE BENCH

44. Your photography never disapoints. it’s great the way you weave a story into
    all of your challenges. I – who are in a free situation- always am brought back to
    the reaity of those who cannot go about and go where they want to go. I hope that
    you are where it is necessary to be with the ones you love. There should never be a
    wall stopping you or anyone form seeing those who are closest in their hearts.
    May your days be filles with the joy that your loves ones are just an arms length away.
    Namste,
    Isadora

45. teevee says:

First things first, thank you for commenting on my blog! 😀 It certainly made me beam a lot.
    I loved the photographs on this post too~ Family is really important!! I too realise that at the end of the day, nothing matters more than to spend more time with family members~ 😉
    I guess I will coming by again some day to read your blog! Really meaningful!

46. thirdeyemom says:

I love this post. It is so beautiful! I think it is so wonderful you get to go home. I hope you write about it.

47. enzo says:

Beautiful post. It got me thinking, what are those things in my past that I regret so much. Yeah…I have lots of them. But I can no longer bring back time and neither will I be able to undo what has been done. I’ve learned to move on and learn from my past and try as best as I can never to commit the same mistakes I had lest I regret it for the rest of my life.

48. pix & kardz says:

how wonderful that you will be able to spend some time with family that you haven’t seen for some time. you won’t regret it!

have an awesome time.

49. Keri says:

what a beautiful post! no regrets!

50. nelson RN says:

Congratulations for getting approved to finally fly home and be with your loved ones! I’m happy for you and I wish you a safe journey! Kiss our motherland for me pls!
    I’m sure you’ll come back with lots of new stories to tell us, so I’ll be looking forward on those 🙂 This post is so close to my heart. If you check out my post, you’ll find out why.
    This post is one of my favorites across this week’s challenge 😀

• Thanks Bro…I sure will kiss our motherland for you…and a big embrace as well! Going home always feel like being at the “happiest” place on Earth not even Disney can compare. Can’t wait to eat sea foods, hige mangoes and yes…the trip to Boracay….I saw you pics when you went there with your family…they were just beautiful. Thank you and God bless you and your family.

51. Cafe23 says:

This is so beautiful. I have also felt regret for feeling like I hadn’t spent enough time with my family growing up. Spent too much time being a rebellious teenager instead. I think I felt guilt for many years but didn’t really come to terms with it. But recently I had a very heartfelt talk with those who I felt I had wronged and turns out they felt very sorry for things they thought they could have done better as well. It’s too much heartache to carry around the burden of regret. I know now that I have to look forward at the opportunities I now have to spend with them. I’m so happy that you have your opportunity to be with your loved ones as well 🙂

• “Recently I had a very heartfelt talk with those who I felt I had wronged and turns out they felt very sorry for things they thought they could have done better as well.” God gives us second chances and when it happens, we need to grab them as fast as we can. Forgiveness and mercy helps us sleep at night with a clear conscience. We may not turn back time but we can make up for it. Today is that day….thanks for the generous and honest comment…wishing you and your family all the love, peace and joy.

52. Cheryl says:

Sigh!

53. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : Regret « Cheryl Andrews

54. Even after so many years of living out of our country, there are still moments, that I have to convince myself that I made the right decision leaving our motherland, especially when the pangs of homesickness gnaws. There is no place like home.

Have a safe trip back home.

Beautiful entry and thoughts as always. 🙂

56. Pingback: If Only I Could Turn Back Time | Stories of My Wandering Feet (& Mind)