A Few months ago, I made a post that included a legend of my hometown with a mixture of the stories that I experienced growing up in an Island surrounded by romantic and passionate people. It was a story about love and a dream that never died. It was a story about destiny and a love engraved on the sand which the tides can never wash away because of a spell that can only be broken by the two destined people to meet and love each other for the rest of their lives.
One of such story is that of a beautiful maiden, daughter of an Island King who was so enchanting that noble men of the other Islands would travel the treacherous seas to see her and hopefully win her heart. Each one would give her the best treasure that their Island had to offer from precious stones, to gold , to even herds of cattle. The maiden at the end of the day felt sad. Her father looking troubled asked her, ” my precious daughter, why are you so sad?” She answered, “nobody seems to see who I really am. Everyone only sees the superficial part of me. I’m afraid I have no one to give my heart to.”
Just when she was about to give up, an honest man of less nobility walked in. He was holding a rectangular object wrapped in a simple wrapper. The lad in all his humility handed his gift to the maiden. As he gave his offering he said softly, ” I may not have the riches in the World, but I promise to love you until my last breath, to cherish you , dream with you, seek life’s happiness with you, to share endless Sunsets till we are old and gray.”
The maiden was speechless. She opened her gift hurriedly. The present is a portrait painting of herself with a poem at the back. She asked him, ” who made this?” With his head bowed to the ground, he replied, ” I did.”
When she finished reading the poem, she looked at the man who just wrote the kindest and most affectionate words she has ever read. Who knew the deepest cry of her heart. She smiled at him sweetly and as she did so, tears of joy came down her eyes. Each of these tears, turned into shiny pearls that people of the past believed were the first origin of the deep-sea pearls.
Finally, the maiden asked, ” how did you know the inner most longings and secrets of my soul?” The young man said, ” did you remember a boy you met by the beach so many years ago? The one you poured your thoughts, hopes and dreams? I was that boy. Right then, you had my heart which to this day only beats for you.”
When you get the chance to visit the sea, check the sand, perhaps you’ll find your name on it and the one “true love” destined for you. We can make each day as inspiring as it can be. We can fill it with tremendous love engulfing our hearts with infinite happiness.
We can make each day feel like Valentine’s Day. A day that doesn’t need a shower of material gifts. Instead, it requires a sincere, honest, giving and loving heart that can withstand the challenges of time.
Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day. May it bring you all the love and happiness that you wished and longed for.
To all who took these photos, thank you for sharing that special moment with us. Your images captured the heart of the Island and all the people who found love and refuge in it.
- Valentine’s Day: Why Do We Celebrate It?WhY (leggotunglei808.wordpress.com)
- Valentine Box 07 (giftboxfilledwithlove.wordpress.com)
- The Legend of St. Valentine (ladailypost.com)
- Vday = Dday (naturalselectionoflife.wordpress.com)
- VALENTINE’S DAY . . . should be every day! (free2bme123.wordpress.com)
- A Mermaid’s Kiss (sonnetjournal.wordpress.com)
- Among the World’s Best: Boracay (bodgethexplorer.wordpress.com)
- Boracay: Island Paradise (boracayhistory.wordpress.com)
- crystal cove boracay (starlight427.wordpress.com)
- Boracay Island (boracayjournals.wordpress.com)
- Good Times in BORACAY Philippines (jtaboracayrealty.wordpress.com)
- You are never to old to dream (doggonedmysteries.wordpress.com)
- To My Beloved Pengpeng. (ayosaoi.wordpress.com)
- Lover’s Leap (thisdaywithgod.wordpress.com)
- “A world without love is a deadly place”: Celebrating Valentine’s Day with the launch of TED Quotes (ted.com)
- Your my Fav (marisakquijano.com)