Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted

Howdy everyone. This week’s photo challenge is called “Distorted.” In a world where a lot of people strive for perfection, this comes as a true challenge. I’m just as guilty. I was browsing my photo gallery and I couldn’t find a distorted photo. I usually delete pictures that are blurry or has hints of imperfections. Ouch!

Other than about getting the perfect picture, in reality my world is all about imperfections, weaknesses, blemishes, shortcomings and others faults that any human being goes through with his life. Personally, I have a particular dislike with vanity. I could care less what “brand” I’m wearing or what I look like. But sometimes certain occasions require me to conform with rules, dress codes and etiquettes which I’m sorry to say, I submit myself half heartedly. All my life, I grew up around simple things. I’m used to the freedom of being myself without trying to impress anyone. Unfortunately, the world doesn’t really work that way. I had to adapt and mingle. I had to blend with the rest of the society. Bummer!

My son's jersey shirt was no. 22. The boy next to him, no. 18 was the champion of the race. I heard him say to my son, "You can do it!" I admire his enthusiasm and humility.

Enough of me. I went to the much awaited Houston Rodeo and Live Stock Show yesterday. Blessing in disguise, my iPhone camera gave me pictures without trying that is perfect with the subject about imperfections and distortions. Despite of putting my camera plus application to the “burst” or rapid shot mode, some of the events were to fast for the camera to get a good capture. Yipey!

Every year, my son and I would watch the Mutton Bustin, a thrilling rodeo event wherein kids aged 5 to 6 year olds ride the sheep and race with each other. It’s like the kid’s version of bull riding. Yesterday, I asked my son if we wants to join this year. I was surprised when he said yes. Looking shy, he joined the other participants. The kid next to him who turned out to be the winner said, “You can do it!” My son looked at him and smiled. I guess it boosted his confidence cause he finished the race without a hint of hesitation. As I watched him prepare for the ride, he had this expression on his face that seemed to say, “What the heck am I doing here? Oh, well let us just be done with it.”

As he rode the sheep. I felt a mixture of fear and excitement. Then I heard his name being announced as the next contender. My heart jump in anticipation. Then the door opened, out came a sheep with my son on top of it. I saw my little boy held on to the sheep for as long as he can. About 15 seconds later, he was on the ground. It felt like the longest 15 seconds. He stood up looking both stunned and thrilled. Initially he had this look that seemed to say, “What happened?” Then he smiled as he was escorted towards the other participants. Even if he didn’t win, I was proud of his accomplishment. It took courage to do what he did. As we head out towards the amusement park, he showed me happily his certificate and ribbon of participation. I looked at my wife and read her mind. She seemed to be saying, “You boys are crazy!”

Heading home, I heard my son proudly saying, "I'm a Texan!" I couldn't agree more.

On our way home I asked my son, “Did you have fun?” He replied eagerly, “Yes, dad. I had    a lot of fun.” Then I asked him further, “Happy?” He chuckled a bit and said, “So Happy!” I felt a tremendous joy when I heard his response. Sweetest words that I will always cherish and remember.

Hope you had fun reading my rodeo adventure. What imperfect event in  your life that turned out beautiful and perfect? Distorted things can turn out amazingly inspiring. We just need to open our eyes and heart for it.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Events, family, parenting, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted

1. Your son must be so daring!!

Nothing beats a distorted cowboy! 😆 I love the pictures and the clothes… 🙂

3. I loved reading your rodeo adventure! In fact, your pictures are always wonderful, but you always add such thought provoking words or interesting story. Great fun to read.

• Thank you Brooke. It easy to get carried away with the words when we have so much inspiration in us. I’m just lucky that I get to experience this moments with my family…Have a great day.

4. Connie T says:

The first picture is really good, the horse is off the ground, the rider is leaning way back. Great action. I would love to go to a rodeo.

I love that picture of who I think is your son sliding off the sheep and you can only see his legs (I’m guessing that’s your son). Great photos….and memories. I used to go to the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo when I was growing up. Loved every minute of it!
    Great, great post!!

• Thanks Angeline. It scared me for a second when he fell, then one of the cowboys in blue helped him stood up. I felt both exitement and relief when he started smiling on his way to the chair. I haven’t been to the San Antonio Rodeo but I bet it is a lot of fun with great memories to go. Stay blessed my friend.

6. Sonel says:

Absolutely stunning post and you are so right. We make everything the way they are. Awesome pics! 🙂

• Thanks Sonel . As my son gets older, I try to do more things that will give him a happy and fun memory when he grows up. In a way, I feel blessed to have these chances. He makes my life more interesting.

7. Elyse says:

Oh, I’ve always wanted to see mutton busting. What a wonderful concept! Great post — thanks so much for the smiles, IT!

• I’m more than happy to share a story that brought me a beautiful memory. Joy and laughter needs to be shared so others will also see how wonderful life and all that is around us. Thank you Elyse.

8. wolke205 says:

As always, I like your post. But I don’t like Rodeos & I don’t feel sorry for anyone that gets hurt there – except the poor horses or cows which are (often, not everywhere of course) misstreated for…

• I can see where you’re coming from. What goes behind the curtain, regular spectators don’t see. I agree that animals need to be as free as they can be and treated with kindness, just like how we like to be treated. Thanks for sharing this and for speaking for the animals.

9. Pingback: Distorted Sexy Lips (Weekly Photo Challenge) « Cardinal Guzman

10. rommel says:

A brave and adventurous kid you have here. It’s good to support and encourage him from time to time in things like this one.

I love your entry. One of the best this week.

• Thank you bro. I wish I can do more to express the excitement of the moment. Seeing your child overcome an obstacle or fear, or simple standing up with courage is one of the shining moments that any parent will never forget or will always be proud of.

11. Freedomborn says:

Hi island traveler thank you a good point made…Striving for perfection in this world is bondage but we need to seek with all our heart to be perfected in Love or our lives are blurry and out of focus.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect.

1John 4:16-17 And we have known and believed the Love that God hath to us. God is Love; and he that dwelleth in Love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our Love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world.

1 John 4:18-19 There is no fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in Love. We Love Him, because He first Loved us.

Christian Love Anne

• Thank you Anne . Those words are all beautiful and just breathing with power and inspiration. One of my wish and hope to accomplish is to attain the real definition of love. Not the love the world is crazy about but the love that comes from a pure heart of faith. Love that is unconditional, non-judgemental, a love that is full of acceptance , a love that is patient and kind, a love that thinks of others before self. People might think, “that sounds crazy” but if we all ask ourselves why we are all here and why we exist, we will look at love with a different perspective. God is love and that alone is enough to realize love is more than just about feelings. Have a blessed day my friend.

Awesome rodeo pix…love the last one 🙂

13. thirdhandart says:

Your son was really brave to try Mutton Bustin… glad he was wearing a helmet. Awesome photos!

• Yes he was brave and helmet is a must. In a way, there’s always some danger to it, I’m glad he did well and he was safe. The staff were all helpful and made sure the kids will be as safe as much as possible. Thanks for sharing.

14. Frank Bishop says:

Haha, that is awesome. I remember doing that when I was a kid, good times. Really makes for an awesome story when your son brings a girl over for the first time. Keep these next to the naked baby pictures.

• I will remember that. Right now, he already talks about a girl he is fond of. He makes me smile everytime he tells me and his mom about her. His face would light up and his voice all excited everytime. The sweet stories of our childhood always bring a beautiful memory. Have a great day my friend.

15. Pingback: A-Z Achive: J! Challenge…Java! « jeanne's blog…a nola girl at heart

16. jeanne says:

Way to go cowboy…Rodeo!

17. suitablefish says:

I really like the last photo with the sun rays absorbing the children. funny, i learned through illness to give up perfectionism, now I find imperfect, distorted even more interesting. thanks for your thoughts.

• Thank you. I learned later in life that there’s beauty in imprefections. It’s even more real and somewhat universal. All of us have our flaws but this blemishes makes us unique and very human. It gives us room to strive and grow. Have a beautiful day.

18. Judy says:

Great story…loved reading about you and your son!

You captured some great distorted photos! Distortion does make you see things in a different way.

20. sonsothunder says:

These are just Super Awesome to me…I’ve never stayed on a bull for 8 seconds…But, I once thought I was Super *8* Man…
    … ate dirt when he threw me. I grew up riding horses, but, some body forgot to tell the bull they were in the same arena…But, I lived…
    Great Pictures for the “Distorted” Challenge Brother…

• I’m glad you were safe. There’s always the danger of the sport. I guess it’s safer with kids although they still can get hurt. But the thrill and excitement is unbelievable. And when he smiled after falling, I thought, “that’s my boy!.” Best 15 seconds! Thanks for sharing.

21. Mutton Bustin’ is my favourite of all the rodeo events! So cute! I smiled the entire time I was reading this post. The very last photo with the sun shining behind the barn is just fantastic.

• The barn picture was one of those amazing product of light’s distortions. It made me smile when I looked at the picture for the first time. I also like the child-like innocence and fun of it. Thank you.

He’s one tough kid. I could just imagine the heaps of fun he had there. Watch out, bro, for the next adventure he will do. I am sure that experience of riding the sheep just opened doors for more challenging adventures. I won’t be surprised if ever another story for that will be posted soon.

Well, as for the question, I used to think I wasn’t ready to be become a parent until fate brought me to that “situation”. To be honest, I hate to say this (since there is no such thing as accident) but I didn’t really plan to be a parent back in the day my wife told me she’s pregnant. You know what I meant there. That event paved the the beautiful and perfect road for me. I’ve never been happier and inspired since. I realized the next thing I needed was right next to where I am — my family.

Life is always beautiful. That’s the most important lesson I learned in life amid its fair share of difficulties — the very equation of distortion for me.

God bless your family, bro.

• Bro, that is one open, hearfelt and inspiring story. A lot of the best things in our life came out as a unexpected surprise. You are truly blessed with a beautiful wife and son. They will brighten your world with their unconditional love. They will make you feel , believe and do things you only dream about. They will make you smile, laugh and celebrate life with meaning and contentment. It took almost 3 years after marriage for my wife to get pregnant. For a while I thought we were not meant to have kids, the came the happiest surprise- postive prenancy test! Life is sweet my friend , I bet you have so much mor great things to come. God bless you and your family.

23. Cheryl says:

Just think, Mr. B. a lifetime memory for your son that began with 15 minutes!!! Wonderful post and pics!

24. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted « Cheryl Andrews

25. jbheronneau says:

Some pictures are very good!!!
    I especially like the motion ones…

bye

26. http://wp.me/p2d2k7-1t Congratulations I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award…..from my new blog gr8listener.wordpress.com click the link to accept your second Sunshine Award….

27. Reblogged this on Writing for my beloved and commented:
    Mutton Busting enjoy

28. Patti Kuche says:

What a great day out! The great shots certainly do catch the action and adventure of the day, the wonder and awe which goes with the question ‘did I really do all that?” !!!

29. nelson RN says:

That was a fun day! Thanks for sharing! I always love your father-and-son stories and pictures coz I can always relate 😀 God bless you and your family!

Great to read your comments on what you regard as important in your life. You turned out very good pictures again to go with the theme. I always love to hear about your son too. Thanks for sharing.

31. munchow says:

Who says you need to be conform? Be yourself has always been my rule, and it seems like the same for you, even if you once in a while need to submit yourself to conformity. Anyway it seems like your son and you had a great time together. As always your post is full of great photographs. I particularly like the first one, it’s just so surreal, I have to love it.

• I will always remember this, “Be yourself!” your are right that although I try to follow my heart, sometimes I can’t get away with conformity. Your images and thoughts inspire me. Hope I can at least reach a similar passion, vision, individuality and uniqueness. Thank you.

32. love the story and your wonderful blurs. your son was very courageous!
    thanks for sharing 🙂

33. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted Words | ♥ Project 365 ♥ Challenge ♥

34. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted Words | ♥ Project 365 ♥ Challenge ♥

35. Heeeeyaaaaah! Giddiyup young cowboy!

You have a daring kid. Of course the parents are venturesome too for letting their kid chase his spirit of adventure.

36. jhirzel88 says:

Anytime a picture is distorted, as long as you have a reason to make it, it manages to work out somehow. In the first picture, it appeared there was different images in the background. It seemed like it was painted by an artist in a way.

Your son had quite an adventure, and he was determined because someone who has won encouraged him. He knew he could do it, and although he didn’t win, he didn’t feel upset because he managed to do better than others could, while having fun at the same time.

• The beauty of being alive is that we get to try new things everyday. We may fail, we may fall but then we get to stand up and do it all over again. My son had a great time. He get to show us his badge after the ride with a big, happy smile. Thank you and stay blessed always.

37. I am a big fan of mutton bustin. Great photos.

38. jakesprinter says:

Great entry for Distorted my friend 🙂

39. Kate Kresse says:

fabulous as always!

40. Madman says:

A lovely rodeo story. It was fun to read it 😉

41. Sabina Brave says:

So your son is brave cowboy? Or rather sheepboy 😉 His happiness is the best recomendation. 🙂

• Seeing how happy he looked after surviving his first Sheep ride, I can’t be more proud and excited for him. This is the best part of childhood, making dreams come alive. Thank you…

42. Great story! Your son is indeed brave! I would be too scared to try it at any age 🙂 Looks like you all had a lot of fun! It’s an experience he will always treasure. ~Vanessa

• Thanks Vanessa. He was brave… I think he is braver than me compared to when I was a kid. I will always treasure the moment. Moments that makes like worth celebrating everyday.

43. I just love that the other little boy told your son, “You can do it!” That’s wonderful.

I spent some time in Idaho as a reporter, and it was there I saw my first rodeo, which included — Mutton Bustin’. I thought they were joking, when they assigned me that story. Little kids? Riding on sheep? No way. Then I saw a parade of small children in helmets, strapping themselves to sheep and being dragged across the dusty rodeo floor! I near about had apoplexy!

But the more I watched, the more I saw this is almost a rite of passage, for these very young kids. It’s something I will never forget, and I am proud of your son for his spirit.

• I can never forget the expression on the parent’s faces. From excitement, to joy, to fear, to pride of their kid’s bravery. It does remind me of a “rite to passage.” It’s overcoming our fears and opening our doors to a world of fun and adventures. Thank you for sharing. Your comments always bring inspiration and delight.

44. Tammy says:

I love me some distorted rodeo!

45. Hi there–that last picture, with the red building and the kids on the bridge is just perfect, despite its perceived imperfections. Thank you for reminding me that “perfection” and “beauty” are not the end game, but only impossible goals that tend to make us crazy. My son recently had umbilical hernia surgery (not elective), and even though I felt relieved when it was over and he ws out of danger, I also felt really sad because I missed the little “imperfection” that had always been a part of him ( http://walkingpapers.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/bye-bye-belly-bump/ if you’re interested). Anyway, that’s my distorted story for the day. I look forward to reading more about your life with your family. So darn cute on that sheep!
    Best,
    Suzanne

Enjoyed the “distorted” rodeo and best of all, your son got such a great adventure! I love the very last photo as the “cowboy” walks away into the sunset! Thanks!

47. dearrosie says:

I’ve been to a few rodeos in Fort Worth, Texas but I’ve never seen 6 year old kids riding sheep. Mutton Bustin, sounds like a nerve wracking rodeo event for both parents and the kids. Your son’s a brave lad.
    I love his “I’m a Texan” quote.

• I told my parents that my son is proud and happy to be a “Texan.” He was born in California but grew up close to Houston. I share his pride. Texas is a beautiful state. Thanks for wonderful comment.

48. Arindam says:

Bro you are a brave father for sure. And your son is even braver than you. After all he had to make the choice, whether he would ride on the sheep or not. 🙂 And that part made me laugh when you wrote, “your wife seemed to be saying, “You boys are crazy!”.
    And one more thing, just like you I could care less what “brand” I’m wearing. And I also do not try to impress anyone with my look or with my dress. May be I have to also blend with the society. Really nice post bro. 🙂

• Bro, you think and speak like me. I’m honored and happy to know you through your blog. The world , or a part of it tried to poison our minds with materialism and vanity. That beauty is when you look and dress in a certain way. That you can buy happiness. That you can buy self-worth. Sad right? But there’s hope for change. It starts with us and those who share a similar thinking. Best wishes to you.

49. Barb says:

The colors bring such joy. I needed the visual trip and the words to carry me away from worries and find what’s in front of me is what’s important. “Thank you.”