Howdy everyone. This week’s photo challenge is called “Distorted.” In a world where a lot of people strive for perfection, this comes as a true challenge. I’m just as guilty. I was browsing my photo gallery and I couldn’t find a distorted photo. I usually delete pictures that are blurry or has hints of imperfections. Ouch!
Other than about getting the perfect picture, in reality my world is all about imperfections, weaknesses, blemishes, shortcomings and others faults that any human being goes through with his life. Personally, I have a particular dislike with vanity. I could care less what “brand” I’m wearing or what I look like. But sometimes certain occasions require me to conform with rules, dress codes and etiquettes which I’m sorry to say, I submit myself half heartedly. All my life, I grew up around simple things. I’m used to the freedom of being myself without trying to impress anyone. Unfortunately, the world doesn’t really work that way. I had to adapt and mingle. I had to blend with the rest of the society. Bummer!
Enough of me. I went to the much awaited Houston Rodeo and Live Stock Show yesterday. Blessing in disguise, my iPhone camera gave me pictures without trying that is perfect with the subject about imperfections and distortions. Despite of putting my camera plus application to the “burst” or rapid shot mode, some of the events were to fast for the camera to get a good capture. Yipey!
Every year, my son and I would watch the Mutton Bustin, a thrilling rodeo event wherein kids aged 5 to 6 year olds ride the sheep and race with each other. It’s like the kid’s version of bull riding. Yesterday, I asked my son if we wants to join this year. I was surprised when he said yes. Looking shy, he joined the other participants. The kid next to him who turned out to be the winner said, “You can do it!” My son looked at him and smiled. I guess it boosted his confidence cause he finished the race without a hint of hesitation. As I watched him prepare for the ride, he had this expression on his face that seemed to say, “What the heck am I doing here? Oh, well let us just be done with it.”
As he rode the sheep. I felt a mixture of fear and excitement. Then I heard his name being announced as the next contender. My heart jump in anticipation. Then the door opened, out came a sheep with my son on top of it. I saw my little boy held on to the sheep for as long as he can. About 15 seconds later, he was on the ground. It felt like the longest 15 seconds. He stood up looking both stunned and thrilled. Initially he had this look that seemed to say, “What happened?” Then he smiled as he was escorted towards the other participants. Even if he didn’t win, I was proud of his accomplishment. It took courage to do what he did. As we head out towards the amusement park, he showed me happily his certificate and ribbon of participation. I looked at my wife and read her mind. She seemed to be saying, “You boys are crazy!”
On our way home I asked my son, “Did you have fun?” He replied eagerly, “Yes, dad. I had a lot of fun.” Then I asked him further, “Happy?” He chuckled a bit and said, “So Happy!” I felt a tremendous joy when I heard his response. Sweetest words that I will always cherish and remember.
Hope you had fun reading my rodeo adventure. What imperfect event in your life that turned out beautiful and perfect? Distorted things can turn out amazingly inspiring. We just need to open our eyes and heart for it.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (3rdculturechildren.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (alexandraroman.com)
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (seaofgray.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (nolagirlatheart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (fromundermanyhats.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (hurtlingtowards60.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (passion2read.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distortion (beijingcityphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Distortion (allaboutwordswa.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (maggiephotgraphy.wordpress.com)
- Distorted Sexy Lips (Weekly Photo Challenge) (cardinalguzman.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (judichow.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (brittenasplund.wordpress.com)
- 2012 Rodeo Houston Parade (khmx.radio.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (yobynos.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (myintrovertedlife.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (thepetalpusher.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted (thirdhandart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distorted… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Distortion (smkelly8.wordpress.com)