A Door To The Past
Some doors leads to a glorious past that has long been forgotten.
There was a time when Iloilo, my wife’s hometown was a vibrant, gem of a town during the Spanish Era. The houses were beautiful and the churches, grand and majestic. As time passes by, this grandiosity slowly faded as modernism swept the city’s landscape like a raging wildfire and all that’s left are remnants of a once glitter laden past.
As I went around the city, I made a point in visiting these priceless treasures of the past. At the center of Jaro Plaza stands an old church bell tower that used to beckon the town’s people to gather during festivities as well as the daily church services. Then one day a big earthquake toppled the tower which was eventually restored to what it is now, or what’s left of it.
A Door To A Place Of Faith
Some doors lead to rediscovering and renewal of one’s faith.
The Jaro church is the home of Our Lady Of Candelaria or Our Lady Of Candles. A lot devotees claimed of divine miracles and answered prayers. People believed that on the last days, when darkness covers the Earth, the blessed candles when lit up will never burn out. Faith gives my people a reason to believe, to hope, to hang on no matter how hard life gets. It gives them a reason to smile even when facing a stormy weather.
An old government building that is still used to this very day. The antique door welcomed countless locals throughout the centuries.
This house once holds unforgettable parties during the town’s much awaited Fiestas but times have changed and so are the people who once lived there.
I hope you enjoyed my entry for this week’s Sunday Post called Door. Life prepared many doors for us. Which door to choose is all up to us. We just need to make sure we choose the one that will give us happiness and contentment. A door that will lead us to our dreams and love ones.
- Sunday Post: Door (bringingeuropehome.com)
- Sunday Challenge – Door #2 (insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com)
- SUNDAY POST : Door (seraphim6.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: DOOR (scrapydo.wordpress.com)
- Travel Diaries: Iloilo – Guimaras Day 2 (windupchronicles.wordpress.com)
- Sunday (on Monday) Post – Door (legionofdoorwhores.wordpress.com)
- Iloilo City: 2011 Day 3 (ayosaoi.wordpress.com)
- Sunday (on Monday) Post – Door (thewanderlustgene.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Door (weirdandcoolstuff.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Door (francineinretirement.wordpress.com)
- Sunday post : door (restlessjo.wordpress.com)