Revisiting Gator Park

Travel Theme: Parks

This week’s Travel Theme by ailsapm of wheresmybackpack.com is about “parks.” There is one park close to Houston that gave me and my son a lot of unforgettable adventures. Nestled close to 5,000 acres of land filled with live oak trees with dangling spanish moss and lakes full of surprises is a place where a child’s adventurous spirit can roam free. It’s called Brazos Bend State Park.

Meet The Baby Gators

Our first stop was at the visitor center where we were able to get a close encounter with  baby gators. I remembered during our first visit  last year that my son was a bit scared touching the baby gator’s back. This time, he excitedly touched its back and tail. As he felt its leathery skin, the gator just looked at me with its glassy eyes.

We heard an announcement, “Snake Show in 15 minutes!” I told my son, “Hey, lets watch the snake show. It’ll be fun.” He replied excitedly, “Yes, dad, let’s see some snakes.”

Discovering Snakes

It was a very informative show. It teaches the kids as well as the adults the fascinating world of snakes. We all found out that from the many hundreds of species, only 4 or 5 are poisonous in Texas. Good to know. One important lesson is that we all need to respect these creatures in their natural habitat. Most of the time, they shy from humans and would rather go away. The Hognose snake would even pretend that it’s dead when threatened. Amazing, right?

Gator Lakes

After the show, we went around the park and spotted a few adult gators. Drought hit Texas bigtime and the waters were really shallow. It was so easy to spot them. We also saw a lot of birds. A few of them unwary of the approaching gators.

We all went home happy and enriched with new learning and discovery. It was another adventure we won’t forget. Can’t wait for our next visit. I bet another surprise awaits us.

Thanks for sharing your day with me . I hope it gave you a sense of fun and adventure. For those who missed my first post about the park, I included a link below. What’s your kind of adventure park?

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Events, family, nature, photography, Travel Theme, Travels and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Revisiting Gator Park

1. ailsapm says:

It looks like a wonderful park, Mr B, with great educational programs. I love the close-up of the hand holding the snake.

2. aRVee says:

Interesting adventure, you must have enjoyed this one. 🙂

• I did. It’s our third visit. The last one, the drought took a hit of the lakes and they’re halfway dried up. The prettiest that it had been was during our first visit when everything was green and lush.Thanks Bro.

3. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    What a fantastic park for the family. I think it’s great when you can touch and feel the different animals, and learn about them as well. Great photos, and of course the snake did give me shivers. 😀

• Thanks. The snakes gave me the shivers too but I would like to show my son that they are also living creatures with an equal right to live and be free. It was a great way to overcome my fears.

4. TBM says:

How cool for both of you. And I love that they are teaching the young and old to respect nature. I never would have thought that a snake would play dead…animals are so much smarter than we give them credit for.

• They are smarter than we think. And their instincts are amazing. We were lucky that there was a show that day. It was my first time as well. Never too old to learn something new and valuable. Thank you.

5. Gilly Gee says:

A great experience for your young man!

6. bulldogsturf says:

Loved the visit with you… gators and snakes… enjoyable day I’m sure

• It was. It’s been a while since I entered the world of snakes, bugs, gators and other animals. I forgot that once I was a kid all ready to explore the nature around him. I’m glad I have a 6-year old to remind me of how exciting it is to be a kid. Thanks.

7. Colline says:

I like it when children are able to see – and touch – live animals. It makes the animal kingdom more real to them and hopefully, in this way, they will learn to respect nature.

I like animal parks. Thanks for sharing and listing my blog.

9. I like animal sparks! 😀 but not the reptile section, no uh! I’m more of a flyinganimalsslashinsects lover! 😀

• I understand. My wife won’t touch one too. Everyone has a particular fear. Me, rats. One time we chase a field rat as big as my forearm inside our house way back in college. I had goosebumps just looking at it. Thanks for sharing.

10. Great experience! This post brought me back to my childhood visits to Florida and holding the reptiles and watching the crocs as well.

11. Glad you got to see gators, small and large, during your visit! Thanks for the pingback.

Great park! I had to scroll fast past the snake pictures……yuk!! The one thing that I dread!! But little boys love that kind of thing!

• I know that snakes do scare a lot of people. My wife would have freaked out if she sees one. As for boys…well, boys will be boys and its part of the great dicovery and exploration. Thanks for sharing.

13. Looks like another fun day. Great photos. That last one! Whoa! He’s a big guy. I’d have to keep my distance. You two are brave!

I think it would be fun to hold the baby gator.

• It is. It felt weird at first. I thought it was going to move or jerk but it was just still. We were warned not to touch the mouth and head part portion nor pull the tail. So, we followed to detail. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

15. Frank Bishop says:

The song fits.

16. Jo Bryant says:

Great post…love the baby gators. My Mum had a baby croc for a while…a bit weird.
    Something else you might appreciate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fQu6EpmFY

17. Cool to share that with your little boy! He will remember these special outings forever!

18. Lisa at fLVE says:

awesome park and such a great way to show your son nature. 🙂

19. What an amazing and memorable day out! The tiny gaters are so cute! I like wilderness rather than parks but they do give a fantastic opportunity to get up close to stunning animals and the park you went to looks lovely and natural.

20. Patti Kuche says:

Fun and very educational – I have now discovered a snake I think I could cope with but only if it comes with the Hognose label! What did your son think of the snakes? He seems to be very comfortable with them! Glad you all had such good fun!

21. A day of fun, adventure, and learning! It doesn’t get any better. 🙂 thanks for sharing it with us.

Great post! Goo to see your son is not squeamish over reptiles. Good to get over these little fears early in childhood.

23. Very nice post – thanks for sharing it!

24. Gail says:

Looks like a great place to visit… very fun and educational! Glad you got to make more memories with your son.

25. lulu says:

It’s been some time since I’ve visited Brazos Bend. It is, as you found, a wonderful place to share with kids. I thought the water levels might be up after the spring rains.

Just keep the gators and snakes in your park…thanks! 🙂

27. Pingback: In The Company Of Alligators | this man's journey