In a matter of days, a parent’s worst fear happened at two different parts of the world. Several days ago, a merciless typhoon Bopha hit Davao Oriental, New Bataan and surrounding communities in the Philippines causing death, fear, misery along its path. At the other side of the globe, 20 innocent kids and 6 adults lost their lives as a gun man went on a senseless shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. Hundreds of families will never have the same Christmas ever again.
Every child deserves to be happy. To smile and have that chance for a better life. A life where he/she feels safe, loved and well provided for. The boy in the second photo is in tears when he should be smiling during the Christmas season. As we go about the joyful celebration of this holiday season, let us not forget that someone out there may never know what Christmas means this year. May we be able to share our blessings and give a gift of hope for those who needed them the most.
Let us light a candle and offer our prayers for them today and everyday for as long as it takes. What they are going through at the moment can not be describe in words but we can show them that they are in our thoughts and heart by helping them in what ever way we can. Here are several related articles about these tragic events and in some of them, it mentions agencies that we can reach to show them that we care.
As we continue the usual glee and merriment of the Holidays, let us not forget that this year, someone in this world will not feel the joyful spirit of Christmas. Let us work together in whatever way we can to bring those joy and hope back into their lives.
I apologize for the gloom and sadness in this post but today, I wasn’t able to sleep because these stories and images kept flashing in my head. Once again, every parent and child, not only in America are terrorized in fear that something this evil can happen. We need to unite once more as one nation with one heart to cope and overcome the fear, the threat, that feeling of helplessness. Perhaps writing and talking about them will ease the horror, fear, even the anger that someone can be so heartless and that nature’s disasters can be unforgiving . It is time to once again pray and hold hands as one nation and one people, united in one spirit. Together we can overcome anything. Together we can help each other dry every tear and heal all forms of tragedies. We will be each other source of inspiration and strength. Good will prevail and overcome darkness.
Last night, my son and I offered a little prayer for the victims and their mourning families. I had a feeling that I wasn’t praying alone. And yes, I was able to finally sleep soundly even just for several hours. I woke up still thinking about the events and I still felt that fear that my kid , anyone’s kid will never be safe when they leave for school. The words I read in the news, “Hold your kids closely,” still echoes in my head and I will be hearing that everyday by heart every time I bring him to school. As I watched the latest update on the Newtown’s shooting, I saw the faces of the innocent victims. Their faces full of light, joy, with eyes sparkling with lots of hopes and dreams. I had to stop for a while to wipe the tears I can no longer hold back.
My message to every parent, “Don’t let this kind of terror win.” We are stronger than we think. We are stronger together. God is there and he will help us face our fears and win our battles.
- Tearful President Obama On Newtown School Massacre: Our Hearts Are Broken (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Typhoon Bopha hammers Philippines (framework.latimes.com)
- Typhoon Bopha carves across Philippines, killing scores of people (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- 80,000 homeless in Philippine after Typhoon Bopha (photoblog.nbcnews.com)
- Typhoon Bopha Pounds Southern Philippines (voanews.com)
- Philippine death toll rises to 902 after Typhoon Bopha; 80,000 homeless (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)
- School shooting massacre in Newtown Connecticut (metro.co.uk)
- Newtown, Connecticut: so where do we possibly look for hope? (derekmaul.wordpress.com)
- 27 Dead, Including 18 Children, In Elementary School Shooting In Newtown, Connecticut (b96.cbslocal.com)
- Newtown Teacher Recounts What Happened In Classroom During School Massacre (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Elementary school shooting leaves scores dead in Newtown, Connecticut (news.nationalpost.com)
- Prayers for Newtown, Connecticut and Our Nation… (fumcoutofthebox.com)
- School shooting reported in Newtown, Conn. (heraldonline.com)
- Philippines death toll from Typhoon Bopha tops 900 (worldnews.nbcnews.com)