Children And Their Gifts

Children And Their Gifts To The World

A child is a symbol of all things good and pure. A child is a gift from heaven that brings laughter and meaning to those around them. A child brings sunshine and hope to a world inflicted with so much pain and misery. A child brings together a nation that is grieving and teaches them what selfless love is all about. A child inspires us to embrace joy with each smile they create. A child is a source of light that helps us find our way.

Island Traveler

Last week, I asked my son what he wants to do for the weekend. He looked at me and said, “Dad, I want to see the lights.” I asked him, “You mean the Festival of Lights?” He replied, “Yes, that one.”
For the past 2 years we’d been going to the Moody Garden’s Festival of Lights as part of our Christmas tradition. This year my wife and I thought of doing something different. Friday afternoon came and I asked my wife, “Where do you want to go?” I was surprised when she said, “We’ll watch the Festival of Lights.” I asked her, “What made you change your mind?” Looking sad, “When I heard of the tragic news, I thought about our son. I realized that we should not miss any chances of creating a wonderful moment with him.” I smiled at her and told my little boy, “Hey, we are going to see the lights.” Looking so excited, he said, “Yipee!”

IMG_2014

Last weekend, me and my wife were full of sadness as we watched the heart breaking news of the horrible event in Newtown Connecticut. As we looked at the smiling, beautiful pictures of the victims, tears fell uncontrollably. Our son asked us why while playing with his Legos. We explained to him what happened in simple terms a first grader can understand without causing undue fear and anxiety. We also told him that starting that day, no more YouTube viewing because even if he was only watching Lego Star Wars, it showed a lot of blasting and violence. Surprisingly, he didn’t argue. He listened quietly, intently and said, “Okay!”

Island Traveler

Meet the Gingerbread family. They may have a small house but their house is a home full of laughter, happiness, love and adventure.  As long as they have each other, it always feels like Christmas.

Island Traveler

Today, he told us that his school’s counselor together with their teacher talked to him and his classmates of what to do if a bad person enters their school. He was calm. I asked him, “So, what do you do when a bad guy enters you school.” He answered, “I will hide.” This time I was quiet for several seconds. I can not believe that my child and his generation had to go through such a scary drill when they should be feeling safe, secure and just having a fun, happy play time in this world. I can not believe that the very threat I fear the most as a parent is happening before my eyes. A threat every parent and child will be feeling everyday.

Island Traveler

IMG_2002

Island Traveler

A human heart is a delicate, precious creation. It is a source of joy and strength. It can also be a source of pain and grief. There are times when it is jumping with joy, vibrant and just full of hope but there are also times when it is crushed and just full of overwhelming emotions. It can be pure, kind, generous, loving and forgiving but it can also be dark and full of anger. It can be a guiding light for people to choose goodness. It can be a key that unlocks a door that leads to healing, unity and peace. A key each one of us needs to have today.

Island Traveler

It was a beautiful night. The sky was full twinkling stars and the cool Winter air smelled like popcorn and cinnamon. We made some Smores on an open fire pit and it was delicious. We were still hungry so we bought a funnel cake which we all shared. It was gone in a few minutes.

Island Traveler

It’s amazing how a child’s imagination and creativity kicks to full gear when they are not into YouTube, internet and video games. While me and my wife were talking about the tragic event and expressing our sadness, my son came out with hand-made costume. We were off guard. As soon as we saw the paper shoes, we started laughing. I asked him, “What are you suppose to be?” With a huge, bright smile he said, “I’m a zombie Knight.” He then started chasing me around our dining table. As he caught me with his little hands, I threw my arms around him and gave him a big hug. He brought back a smile to me and my wife’s face that night. In a lot of ways, he is our Knight in shining armor.

Island Traveler

Shoes can be fun and funny!

A child is a precious gift from heaven. They are a perfect proof that miracles happen. They complete us in this world. They give us a reason for living and pursuing the challenges ahead. They make us smile, laugh and feel happiness even during the most difficult periods in our lives. They give us hope that peace and goodness can reign in our world . They make us believe in things we long forgotten. They make us unite and set aside our differences.

IMG_2064

My thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families. It is a painful event that will take so much time to heal. There are no words that can make it better but I pray that the pain and sorrow gets less and less with the passing of time. The world will not forget. We will always honor, remember and celebrate the beautiful angels that left us on that tragic Friday morning. We will always cherish in our hearts the priceless gifts they gave us in this world.

Island Traveler

It may take years, but I believe that we will all find light and peace somewhere along our journey. Whatever happens, we should not give up hope. We need to believe that something good can happen. Something I learned from my son when he showed me what believing with all your heart means. A gift I will always be thankful for.

This week’s Image of Life is title “Children And Their Gifts.”

Thank you for sharing your day with me. Thank you for joining me in sharing the sadness and sentiments of the events that happened this weekend. Thank you for joining hands in prayer and sharing acts of kindness. Thank you for keeping in your thoughts and hearts the angels we lost that day and everyday elsewhere in the other parts of the world.

Discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends.

AlwaysBobsWife  http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/a-weekly-image-of-life-christmas-surprise/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/weekly-image-of-life-a-christmas-surprise/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/12/17/weekly-image-of-life-a-christmas-surprise/

Elizabeth of  http://eof737.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/reflections-heartaches-to-heal/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget.

Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and  Nikon 1 J1.

My friends, let us find time to discover and capture the images around us. Take a moment, breath and just enjoy what the day has to offer

’26 Acts of Kindness’ honors Newtown victims (myfox8.com)

how to help Newtown (lovelaughbelight.com)

Our President And America Grieves With Newtown, Connecticut. (theobamacrat.com)

CNN: How to Help Victims of Elementary School Shooting (whnt.com)

Remember Them (myownheart.me)

Supporting Newtown… (hip2save.com)

Rev. Emily C. Heath: Dealing With Grief: Five Things NOT To Say And Five Things To Say In A Trauma Involving Children (huffingtonpost.com)

VIDEO: President Obama Tears Up During Emotional Press Conference on Newtown School Shooting (foxnewsinsider.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge-Delicate Outside And Strength Inside (brouhaha-access.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: DELICATE (Wintersky) (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (scottseyephotos.wordpress.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (hereandthere5.wordpress.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate. (3rdculturechildren.com)

Weekly photo challenge: delicate (cloudandmountain.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (Light) (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (smkelly8.com)

Weekly Photo Challenge “Delicate” (asianartandquilts.com)

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, kids, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Children And Their Gifts

1. Gracie says:

What a beautiful and heartfelt post, Island traveler.

2. Becky says:

Your wife and your son are blessed to have you in their life! Children are a gift from God, and we have been given the awesome responsibility of nurturing and loving this precious gift. I applaud you and your wife on the positive life choices you are making for your family. Keep up the good work!

• We are not perfect parents. We make mistakes but we try to give him all the love we can give and reasons to see the goodness around him. Family is what keeps me ready to wake up each day. Thanks Becky.

• Becky says:

And family is a good reason to wake up! 🙂 I don’t believe there are any perfect parents in this world, but I do believe that a parent who sincerely loves, and tries to know their child the very best that they can, is being the very best parent that they can be.
        Keep up the good work. It can be a challenging job, but it’s also a very rewarding one!

3. This is another great post, and you will surely have lots of amazing contributions. i look forward to watching them come in!
    the final photo of you son made me laugh!!! ah, i wonder how many adults would dress like that and think it was uninhibited and fun!
    i’m working on a painting but will hopefully get my post off soon!
    thanks for the beautiful post.
    z

• The great things about kids is that they can be themselves without worries about what others would say. They are proud and happy of what they create. To them they are worth than any material things we see at the store display windows. kids open our eyes to what is priceless in this world. Thanks Z.

4. Beautiful post! I never cease to be amazed by the resilence of children. I am not surprised your son wanted to go back to the same festival of lights. It looks magical.

5. There is a magic that broadcasts itself with the lights of the winter holidays. Without all the other “stuff,” the illumination can illuminate a child’s imagination. It’s wonderful that you recognize that the simple things in life are essential to stretch a child’s mind. I like the second image where he seems mesmerized by the lights.

• He help us see magic when we no longer believed in them. He made us see and feel Christmas the way it was when we were children. I think it is sad that we adults lost that awe, wonder, joy and magic. We became numb to the world’s material demands. I think we should all rethink what Christmas is and really celebrate its pureness and not the shopping frenzy and craziness we are all being fed for so long. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

6. What a beautiful tribute to the little lives lost and the joy and light that children bring into this world. Although so sad that your son had to learn at school how to react in a dangerous situation, he was very fortunate to go back to a very loving and happy home.

• Thank you. I felt bad that he and his generation have to experience this kind of threat and fear. They are kids and they should be having fun, play and just be happy. It was Christmas party in his class yesterday and I looked at the place he told me he was going to hide. It wasn’t even covered but it was away from the door. I felt sad that we parents have to feel this way for our child’s safety. I hope and pray the gift of love, peace and a safe world for our precious little ones.

You’re weaving magic again!

8. dearrosie says:

Beautiful
    I just love your son’s creativity and his “I’m a zombie night.” Its so important to laugh again. Thank you IT. I agree with lucid gypsy that this was magical post.
    (I just wrote my post on the “del-i-cate” challenge before I saw yours had added children.)

9. My day is better and more full of love thanks to you.

Thank you for the beautiful post, IT!

11. The lights depict some of the many wonders of the holiday. I love the “school of fish” lights and of course your son is as adorable as always. Beautiful post. With hopes for peace…G

Your posts are always excellent, but this one is super excellent!
    How good it is to see you initiated an immediate change in telling your son no more YouTube, etc. more parents need yo do that.
    Happiest of holidays to you and your family.

• Thanks Angeline. It is a challenge to take away YouTube and other non-child essential entertainment. Everyday, I do need to remind him of it. Stuff like this are tricky. Kids are smart.They try to check you out if you still remember the rules you made several days ago. I think we made it convenient for ourselves to give them all these gadgets to make them busy so we can do our own stuff. In the end, it’s not really good for them. I am guilty of this thus I want to change it before it’s too late.

13. What better way to spend the holidays than this, with lots of Christmas lights, eating cakes and smors on stick, spending time laughing at home 🙂 Merry Christmas!

What kind of Christmas can those poor families have? The presents will be bought and wrapped. It’s hard to believe what happens in this world of ours sometimes. This was a lovely tribute, and your Festival of Lights looks beautiful. I could feel your son’s excitement. Keep on loving each other, and be safe. Merry Christmas.

• Thank you Jo. I also question a lot of times, “What happened to our world? What happened to the world I used to know?” They may be simple but it was safe, happy, real. Today, it seems more people are getting detached as they try to be so modernized.

15. siggiofmaine says:

Thank you for the gift of hope as I read about your time with the lights…WoW ! Your son is a remarkable child with the gift of creativity and intelligence beyond his years it seems.

He is blessed to have you and your wife as his parents and we your readers, are blessed to have you to share your family and your world with us.

Thank you and bless you and your family this Holiday season. Happy Holidays to you all.

• Thank you. I would like to believe that me and my wife are blessed because of him. Children are full of amazing talents. Everyday is a chance to be surprised by their imagination. God bless you and your family. Happy Holidays.

16. starlight says:

children are wonderful blessings, they give us joy and laughter and well.. a few headaches in-between but they are all part of growing up.. this post made me think of how time flies so quickly, my eldest is having his OJT in Boracay and he’ll be gone til Mar 2013.. the kids are all grown up but my love for them never changes,will always care for them no matter how grown up they can be. that’s how great the love of parents to children.. very nice post and merry christmas 🙂

• Thank you for sharing so generously. I bet you son though having a great Boracay Island fun misses you and his family more that it is the holidays. I agree, a parents love is like no other. I just wish we all live close to the people we love. Merry Christmas and wishing you and your family all the best.

He answered: “I will hide.”
    This reminds me of the fairy tales I grew up with. There was “the wolf and the seven kids”. The wolf was supposed to be very scary. But the kids knew what to do; they were hiding! It’s good when children are being taught how they can look after themselves. It may make them less fearful that something bad can possibly happen to them.
    Thanks for letting us have a glimpse into your family life. This is very heartfelt writing again. Have a blessed Christmas with your loved ones!

• Thanks AuntYuta. I remember back when he was in Kindergarten that his favorite tale was the 3 little pigs and the bad wolf. It is a way for the teachers to tell them of the bad and evil people in our world. I didn’t realized that someone can inflict such evil harm to innocent children. They need all the more our prayers and guidance.

18. Jamie says:

Hi, I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award!
    Cheers(:

19. rommel says:

I know your boy will grow up a good citizen. Look at him listening and nodding understandingly. You honed him very well, IT. You are such an ideal parent fro such a creative, smart and understanding, and kind son.
    Excellent post as always.
    Weeeee!!! Those lights,you captured all ofit oh so very well. Outstanding images,IT!

• He has his moments. Sometimes he is too playful and oblivious of the rules around him. Like today, he was a bit playful while we were in church. Hmm? We just need to remind our little ones to behave and show respect. Merry Christmas and God bless to your family.

20. Running from Hell with El says:

Thank you, thank you so much. Thank you for sharing some of your family’s hopes and joys amid so much sadness. I think that your son is very lucky to be growing up with two lovely parents. What you did as far as explaining things simply and keeping your son safe from the news while still teaching him how to stay as safe as possible . . . that was awesome. Peace be with you.

• Thank you. As parents, one of our priorities is to raise our kids in a safe, nurturing environment. We will do anything to make sure they are happy and protected from any forms of harm. We will even shield them with our life if we have to. Merry Christmas and all blessings to your family.

21. Imelda says:

It is amazing how creative children can get. I pity the children for all that they have to go through these days. It seems like they are being forced to grow up so quickly. My best wishes to your son and your family.

• Thanks Imelda. Me too. It is not fair for them that they are growing in a world full of hate, violence and all forms of evil. I wish they had that same chance as we did growing up in a much simpler, safer, happier world. Wishing you and your family all the joys in life.

22. Alien Shores says:

You have a very good heart

A very beautiful post and the children may be gone but only for a short time…as they are safe in their heavenly Father’s arms. {{hugs}} to you and your family. Just so wonderful knowing you. Thanks. 🙂

• I too believe that they are now smiling, laughing and just have happy beyond words can ever compare. They are now watching over their parents comforting them in spirit and in their hearts. Thank you.

24. muZer says:

Such a heart-warming post and lovely pics. The one thing that scared me was reading about the school drill of where to hide. So sad the kids have to go through these things!
    Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.

• It scared me too. More after seeing that there’s hardly any place to hide in his classrooms. The bigger the kids, the less room for hiding. I just trust God that he will keep our innocent children safe and that he will change the hearts of those who sow evil into good. Thanks. Happy Holidays.

Bro, I really am inspired not to mention reminded by your beautiful words. This post articulated again how much you love your son–your family–and how much of a good soul you are. That kid of yours really brings out the best of you. This post is like a balanced equation in Chemistry. There’s an emphasis of inspiration and tragedy but injecting the many wonders a child can give, the parallel lines met at a certain point.

I heard about the tragedy and there’s no better gift I could offer than sympathy. My prayer goes out to the families of the victims. As we cannot exactly measure the pain they are into at this moment, I am positive too that it will be lessened by the passing time. Time heals as they say.

I am grateful that there are people like you who keeps who keeps the light of the torch burning.

Send my regards to the family, bro.

• Thank you Bro. I wish you and your family all the love, peace and joy. Yes, it was a tragic, sad event that created a ripple effect all over U.S., particularly parents and children who are reminded everyday of the event and it’s possible threat to everyone’s safety every time they go to school. I am saddened too at the recent typhoon devastation in Mindanao. I was told by my dad today that 1,000 are dead and 800 more missing. That is the saddest Christmas in our history. I pray that God will help and provide for our brothers and sisters in this troubled areas.

I mean, I am grateful that there are people like you who keep the light of the torch burning. (Kindly edit that for me, bro.)

27. Children can be a great source of comfort and strength and I am glad your son is that source for you. Your blog is amazing. Wishing you and your family a very blissful and joyous Christmas.

• I appreciate that a lot . Thank you. My family is everything to me. They are my treasure here on Earth. When I was at my lowest, they were my strength in so many ways. Merry Christmas and all blessings to you and your family.

28. Lovely …. I Dint understand that should i smile or cry.. But ur post made me feel both.

29. Indira says:

Your post made me sad and happy at the same time. What a wonderful display of light. Marry Christmas to you and your lovely family.

• Thanks Indira. Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you and your family too. Never had I seen events in the past 2 weeks that made me cry. Just looking at the images pierces my heart and I know millions out there felt the same.

30. Children are such a beautiful and precious gift from God, on loan to us for just a short while. It is our job to teach them what they need to know to make a difference in God’s kingdom; it sounds like you and your wife are doing a wonderful job of teaching your son. Your story and images were inspirational and beautiful! Thank you and a very Merry CHRISTmas!

• Thanks Darla. We try our best. Me and my wife still have so much to learn. We do make mistakes too, many in fact but we learn from them. Seeing him grow into a good, loving person is such a joy and worth every sacrifice. Our children show us how to love with all our heart. Merry Christmas. Wishing you and your family all the wonderful blessings everyday.

31. Pingback: GREATEST GIFT – PART ONE « Francine In Retirement

Love your post on the gifts of children. Your post always inspire and encourage. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Here is my entry. The Greatest Gift: http://wp.me/p23TG1-1Sv

• Thanks Francine. Your post on the “real” stories of Christmas. Of how Jesus was born is truly beautiful, inspiring and moving. God bless and Merry Christmas to you and your love ones.

What a great day. Your son must have enjoyed a lot.

34. Hello IT! Glad to hear that you and your family are doing well my friend! As you might have guessed, I’ve been on a blogging hiatus for a while now, but I’m so happy to see that you are still blogging. Your beautiful son is growing quickly! Time goes by too fast. It would be nice if we could slow it down just a little bit. That being said, I’m glad to see that you are cherishing every moment with your precious family. We may not be able to stop time, but we can surely make each moment count. 🙂

I also see that your heartfelt posts are just as beautiful as ever! Your words are so moving and filled with warmth and compassion. I share your sense of sadness for that horrible tragedy. It breaks my heart too. I can’t imagine what pain those families and friends of the victims must be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who were affected by it.

I look forward to catching up with all of your posts! Keep inspiring us with your heartfelt words. It’s a true blessing to drop by your blog. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! 🙂

• I am happy that you shared once again. I am always drawn to your post that shows love and kindness to his/her environment and everything that lives in it. Your courage to speak and share inspires me. Merry Christmas to you and your family. God is good and kind. He will bring joy and peace for those who need them the most.

Children are a blessing and we ought to cherish and protect them; all of them not just our own… Great post. 🙂

36. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Children And Their Gifts « PragueByKaty

• Thank for for sharing such an amazing post. I wish to share my comment in your post.
      Oh wow! I didn’t know such magical place exist where children’s dreams and imagination comes to life and live forever. This is beautiful when you wrote, “Astrid Lindgren was my favorite author and I believe it was because the child in her never grown up.” What a remarkable woman. She is an inspiration. She has something to teach us today which is rediscover the child in all of us. Laugh, play, be happy, live more and just be adventurous. I will check her books. Merry Christmas and wishing you and your family all the best.

37. Lynda says:

What a wonderful post, and I love your son’s creativity and imagination! Brilliant!

When I was little I had a friend who was from Korea. She used to scream and hide behind the furniture whenever a plane went overhead. Later (in the late 50’s) when I went to school, we would practice “Duck and Cover” drills in case of an atomic bomb. The little girls fear was based on experience, but for us there was no fear because we hadn’t been exposed to the agent of the fear.

I hope that your son will never have a reason to be fearful and that his talks and practice will be just that… talking and practice. I think that we as adults are more readily able to understand the implications of what has happened and that puts the fear into our hearts.

God Bless you and yours, Mr. B.

• Thanks Lynda. That is one beautiful comment full of heart and love for our kids. I can not imagine what the survivors of such evil are going through, more for those who lost their precious child. No words can ever comfort. Only time and God can heal the painful brokenness and loss. Healing takes time. We all should try our best that it will never happen again.

38. Pingback: Children & Their Gifts « Zeebra Designs & Destinations

39. http://playamart.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/children-their-gifts/

i’m heading to town to get another healthy dose of those beautiful children and their gift of character! z

• Love your post Z. It is a celebration about kids and the joy and light they give in our lives. Thanks for sharing them. Merry Christmas and all amazing blessings to you and your family.

40. Your post brought tears to my eyes.

41. Thanks Naomi. I believe millions cried for days after seeing and hearing about the tragedy. If someone didn’t feel anything during these painful events, then I feel so sad for that person. To feel and be moved tells us that we have a soul. A soul that grieves for those who perished. A soul that shares the pain of those who will no longer see the reason of their joy and light.

42. MikeP says:

IT… as you can see by the date it is very hard to respond. Too close is an understatement, it is what we do as teachers. We look upon their faces, hear the unmistakable sound of a child’s laugh and many days receive a hug on the way home. As teachers, we are trained to touch their lives
    and many in my district find school a safer place than home. So to find out what had happened not very far away, filled me with anger and a great deal of sadness. This gloom stayed with many of us for the entire weekend…. until Monday. At first it was very hard to look into their faces and not see news flashes, the names and ages of those killed….as some matched my own students. Then almost in a slow motion film that is sped up to the present, their chatter, laughing, bickering and constant stories were back…. and I felt whole again.
    If it was this hard for me, it is unimaginable what is happening to the parents and teachers in Newtown.

Keep your gift close because they are our future.

• I can not imagine how the parents and the families of those who lost their love ones must be going through. You are right, if we felt such intense sadness and found it hard to face , how much more for those who will never see again the family they love and protected from the day they were born. We should never forget and we should always pray for them. Thanks for sharing Mike. God bless you and your family.

43. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Children and Their Gifts « Life of a Minister Mom

44. lifeofaministermom says:

As always, your words and photos have taken my breath away. Children ARE a gift from Heaven, and my greatest role to date is being the mother to my precious baby girl. Her’s my contribution…photos taken by a friend we’re blessed to know and have so much talent!

I hope you and your family had the most wonderful Christmas to date!!

God bless you all my friend!!

Patricia

• That is a priceless post my friend. Your daughter is so beautiful with a smile that brightens our world. Our children is a gift from God. They are our reminders of all things good, pure and hopeful. We should do our best to always keep they safe and happy. To share them a world where love and peace is real and not merely a dream. God bless you and your family.