Seasons are fleeting but infinite are the time, love and childhood memories we create, share and keep with our families.
Hanging inside our entrance door is an evergreen wreath. All year round it stays pretty much the same, plain green. I like its simplicity. No external trappings. Uncomplicated. Peaceful. Holidays bring a transient euphoric feeling of excitement as colorful, fun decor and bright lights surround it. It springs back to life creating an infinite possibilities of images, laughter, stories and memories.
How To Create Your Own Halloween Wreath
This week, me and my wife thought of surprising our son with a DIY Halloween wreath. After school, we all head to Target for some pumpkin lights and Jack-O-Lanterns, then went to “all for a dollar” Halloween headquarters, the Dollar Tree. While I was busy gathering the spooky Halloween toys, my son was also busy completing his Ninja props of plastic nunchaku, swords and blades to go with his Dragon Ninja costume for trick or treating. Happily he called me and said, “Look dad, I’ll show you how to use the nanchuks.” It seemed fun until the nanchaku hit its target, me! I pulled back my arm and said, “Ouch, that kind of hurts.” He stopped and gave me his, “I’m so sorry” face.
While sorting out our Halloween items, I heard a creepy sound, when a turned around, a spooky small zombie was walking slowly towards me. Whew! I’m glad it was only my 7-year old trying to give his dad heart palpitations.
As we decorate our wreath with bugs, critters, glow in the dark snakes, bats and rats, my son excitedly called my attention, “Hey, dad, check this out.” He pretended a purple spider came out of his mouth. I told him, “That’s gross and creepy.” He laughed so hard the spider fell on the floor. As he picked up the spider, I added, “Don’t do that again. It’s dangerous. You can choke on that.” He looked at me, gave me another, “I’m so sorry” face and said, “Okay, dad.”
That day, my wife was also closing a 20 inches x 20 inches box she was sending to her parents in the Philippines. Thinking it was funny, my wife called my son and said, “Tape the plastic bugs inside the box so when grandma opens it, she will jump in surprise.” Her partner in crime was just so eager to help. They were both laughing as they placed the plastic bugs inside the box. To neutralize the scary, hilarious prank, my son drew a boy with a huge red heart and wrote, “I Love You.” As I listened to both, I could already imagine his grandma screaming as she opens the box. Grinning, I quietly told myself, “Oh, no! You guys are brewing some trouble.”
That night, we turned off all the ceiling lights and just let the glow of the Halloween Wreath and the Jack-O-Lanterns fill our home. To complete the Autumn spirit, we lighted a pumpkin spice candle as we shared a delicious seasonal pumpkin flavored ice cream.
Everyday, chances of infinite happy childhood and family memories knocks on our door. It’s a special treat that spice up each season and warms our hearts throughout the rest of the year when the wreath turns to an evergreen once more.
Before the year ends, create for yourself and your family a holiday wreath that will give a lifetime of reasons to celebrate each other.
Thank you for sharing your day with me. I wish you all an amazing month of October.
- Fall Wreath (alf717.wordpress.com)
- Wreath Making: How to Make a Christmas Wreath for your Door (everest.co.uk)
- Decorating your Doors for the Holidays (everest.co.uk)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite (suzie81.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite (2far2shout.wordpress.com)
- Simple Fall Wreath [ DIY ] (thearkatex.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Photo #10 (ramblingsfromthedarkness.wordpress.com)
- Autumn Welcome (everylittleoccasion.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: infinite (plaridel.wordpress.com)
- I spy a 30-minute, Tie-Dye, Wiggle Eye Halloween Wreath (and I have the Deco Mesh winners) (craftsncoffee.com)
- Speck marks Halloween with 3 iPhone 5 cases (reviews.cnet.com)
- Pinterest- Happy Halloween (acoupleofcraftaddicts.com)
- Frugal Friday: DIY Fall Decor (kymx.cbslocal.com)
- DIY Halloween Wreath You’ll Go Batty For (tinyoranges.com)
- 25 Fabulous Ways to Decorate for Autumn (likeasaturday.com)
- Spooky Food and Crafts : A Halloween Roundup (todaysnest.com)
- Five DIY Fall and Halloween Wreaths (thecreativephysician.wordpress.com)
- This little pin loves wreaths! (thislittlepin.com)
- Fall Wreaths to Love (confettistyle.wordpress.com)
- 7 Fall and Halloween Wreaths (bedifferentactnormal.com)
- Just where do i put an indoor wreath? (nikkiarton.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Wreath DIY (scrawnygirl.com)
- A Trick For A Treat Halloween Wreath (littlemisscelebration.com)
- Fall Wreath (thelemonadesippinporch.com)
- make an easy halloween wreath (wisecrafthandmade.com)
- Four tips for the perfect fall wedding (ritani.com)