Eerie, Eerier, Eeriest

The Eerie Legend Of Aswang

I was born in Capiz, an amazing place blessed with friendly, hospitable people, a breathtaking coastline so rich with sea life that it became the Seafood Capital of the Philippines, of green mountains and rice fields that stretches as far as the eye can see.  Sadly, it also has an eerie curse that time and time again continues to haunt the mind and imagination of so many. Most famous of them are the “Aswangs or Mananaggal,” a normal looking human by day, a scary creature by night. It is said that on full moon, it develops sharp fangs and claws, very much like Vampires, a huge pair of bat-like wings and when it is ready to take flight, its body cuts into half along the waistline. The upper body flies in search for a living flesh to eat while the lower body stays to the ground.

Aswang

When prowling hungry at night, they create an unmistakable blood curdling sound that makes one’s hair stand all over. Females creates the “Tik-tik” sound while males the “Wak-wak” sound. It is believed that the fainter the sound, the closer they are. When it’s eerie silent, they are either behind you or hovering above. Either way, the next event is so gruesome that to this day, it is a part of the local’s nightmare that through the years mellowed down but still lurking. Just waiting, watching, still…then when you think they were but stories of the old…boo! And they resurface again.

Eerie Halloween Of 2013

From midnight of October 31st to about 03:30 in the afternoon, the clouds around Houston was dark gray with strong winds and rain. Some Outdoor Trick or Treating events were cancelled. About 04:15 P.M., the sky was all so clear and blue. A Halloween miracle? My wife said, “Those kids must be praying so hard for the rain to stop.” Perhaps they did and I bet their parents did too. Before I went to work at about 06:40 P.M., the sky was glowing in a beautiful mixture of vibrant red and orange. Like the clouds were on fire. A mixture of spectacular wonder of nature and an eerie phenomenon knowing it was the night of the supernatural, unnatural and the unknown.

Halloween Sky 2013

Eerie Runs In The Family

Weekly Photo Challenge: eerie

Trying to scare Mr. Turkey but looks like it’s not working. Hmm…what scares a turkey? Anyone?

My son and his cousins are the sweetest, kindest, most innocent and angelic kids I ever known but artistic creativity and adventurous imagination runs in their genes. Yours truly together with my friends during my Senior and Junior year in Nursing hosted a Horror Booth that to this day, is still vividly remembered by all who witnessed it. How scary? One of our teachers fainted. One girl started screaming as soon as she entered and still screaming when she stormed the exit door. Another went in laughing thinking it was all a joke and went out crying. Was it because someone pulled her hair? I’m not sure on that one. I’ve yet to verify with our class historian. One classmate tied several live, moving eels on a head piece to look like he’s medusa, took out his false front teeth, turned a flashlight beaming towards his dead-life face. He then lied down inside a real coffin he rented from a local funeral house and every time someone passed by, he springs out to startle and scare. Yes, he was so effective, I heard a few guys screamed next to their girlfriends. Oops, right? He was just one of the crowd drawers. The living zombies, “Aswangs,” and ghosts are hiding at every corner. It was a fun, hilarious, crazy eerie event that is unsurpassed in my school. That was 18 years ago.

Earie

The little boy who won the most scariest costume during a friend’s daughter 1st Birthday Party during Halloween week. Yep, all were in costume and all were present except me. Ain’t that horrible?

weekly photo challenge: eerie

It’s amazing how a blurry picture plus a black and white effect changes an ordinary picture into something spooky and creepy.

weekly photo challenge: eerie

Eerier

Meet the cousins. Without the make-up, they are the cutest, most adorable nephews and nieces. For a moment, I had goose bumps when I first looked at their pictures. Great make-up plus good acting, a perfect scare. Definitely I’d answer, “Treat,” when they ask, “Trick or Treat?” What about you? You might be braver than me.

weekly photo challenge: eerie

Eeriest

This to me this is the scariest of the cousins in terms of make-up, facial expression, costume and special effects. If I didn’t recognize them, I’d run…fast! Oops, can’t find the exit. Help!

weekly photo challenge: eerie

At the end of the day, all these were for clean fun. When the make-up is washed off and the costumes back in the creaky old wooden chest, the little angels are back bringing joy, laughter, love and light around them.

Zombies

Dragon Ninja went Trick or Treating in Kemah Boardwalk and met the dancing Zombies. They danced Michael Jackson’s Thriller so well that the audience can’t stop applauding. These Zombies rock and knows how to party!

I would like to think that these are but a product of imagination. Just like Vampires, Werewolves and Witches in the America and other countries whose stories have originated and thrived through the ages. I believed the scariest of all, whether it’s day or night are humans like you and me whose personal evil and demons they can no longer control. To prove my point, all we have to do is turn the news channel, read the paper headlines, Google current events or simply check the Yahoo news. More than ever we need to be vigilant. We need to work as one community against evil forces of different shape, forms and social status in our society. We need to work harder to keep our world safer for our children. To pray harder like never before. To fight for what is good, just and what brings light and hope for all.

I apologize if this post is kind of scary in itself but sometimes being scared can be a good thing because it makes us aware of what lurks in our midst and help us find ways to prevent them.

Thanks for braving up reading this post. I was a bit spooked trying to recall some of the “Aswang” stories I heard growing up and two occasions I actually heard the “Tik-tik” sound. One, when I had a new baby sister and the other when me and my friends foolishly ventured in an isolated dam surrounded by giant old bamboos on a full moon. I wanted to believe they were made by a local night bird. A big, hungry local night bird. There goes my wild imagination again.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Events, Life, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Eerie, Eerier, Eeriest

1. Wow, thanks for sharing the story of your homeland’s boogie man, that’s very spooky! And those are some scary / eerie Halloween costumes too. Beautiful sunset you captured on Halloween night!

• Long before TV’s, DVD’s and movies, there was plain story telling and radio which me and my sisters look forward every night. It was a great way to be spooked. Simple past with simple timeless way to bond as siblings. Thanks.

2. Eerie, eerier, eeriest! 🙂
    Lovely post.
    It’s a rare combination to find; lovely and scary!
    You sure are blessed with wonderful people.
    It takes a certain level of creativity and courage to create the kind of scenes you described.
    Many cheers!

• To scare and be scared runs in my veins. I guess it was laying dormant just waiting for the past 42 years. Ha, ha, ha. It’s truly fun to go back and remember a childhood long forgotten. To realize we have tons of blessings of memories we take with us wherever we go. Thanks.

” . . . the sky was glowing in a beautiful mixture of vibrant red and orange. Like the clouds were on fire.” This describes this picture very well. Great photography! – Some of your pictures are really quite scary! Wow, scary stories to go with it. Gee, what an imagination in all this.
    Thanks for sharing!

som

• Texas during certain weather changes creates stunning Sunset skies. I had to look back behind my shoulder as I made the Aswang story after midnight. Reminded me how it scared me as a kid. Imagination is a powerful fear trigger. Thanks.

4. Booooo Eerie….I’m outta here…Pawkisses 🙂

5. Haha. So the sounds ‘tik-tik’ and ‘wak-wak’ are also heard in Capiz. That’s really interesting to know. I don’t if you also do the same, but in Cagayan de Oro our version of “Aswang” is actually called “Wak-wak” or “Bal-bal.”

Nice! I enjoyed reading this post. Brings back heaps of childhood memories.

• Thanks Bro . Wak-wak is a male Aswang That is less common but more vicious. There used to be a huge rice field next to my house and at night during a blackout, the air is eerie silent. As kids play under a full moon, something eerie is also playing above the sky. Freaks me out every time we play hide and seek with siblings and cousins.

6. Xeno Hemlock says:

Reblogged this on It's Hemlock Time and commented:
    Amazing story!

7. Indira says:

Enjoyed your post and photographs very much.

• Thanks. I was surprised I was brave enough to recall and write a very old scary legend that haunted my nights as a kid especially when we spent overnight trips at the farm or fish ponds without electricity. Without anyone to call for help. Every morning I wake with hangover of not being able to sleep well which easily gets remedied with the beautiful early morning landscape, Nescafé coffee with condense milk and a bread called Pandesal.

8. Zen says:

Our local horror characters are one of a kind! Mananaggal, tiyanak, undin.. haha.. That’s our country yes.. 😀

9. Love the history behind the Aswangs or Mananaggal. An ebjoyable post.

• Thanks. It’s a famous scary legend in my town that spread around the country. Movies were made about it but it can never match the fear when you are actually thinking that they are close by ready to scoop you and take you with them. Another spooky childhood fear.

10. I love the story of the creepy creatures of the night… that would make my hair stand on end too!

Maybe I am an old bore! I find Halloween an absolute waste of time, space and money. I think that children grow up being frightened by what they see on TV and videos without allowing them to dress up with scary costumes…I know I AM a bore!
    However having said that I loved and feared your story about eerie things in the Phillipines..they sound and look really really scary….but I adored your picture of the beautiful flammed sky over Houston..that is really something….
    Take care my friends..I ‘ll be there to hold your hand in the dark. God Bless you all

• There was a time I didn’t pay attention to Halloween but now my boy is attuned to the American culture, traditions and holidays, I had to be a part of his magical childhood. The stories of Aswangs supposedly was based on a real story that happened and may still be happening till today. Who’s to say they are all plain imagination, right? Thanks. God bless to you and your family,

12. the best eery I have seen…awesome stories and photos…

13. It was a miracle, wasn’t it how the weather cleared up by mid afternoon? I agree and commented to my husband, a lot of kids were praying that they could wear and parade around in their carefully selected costumes. That may just prove that collective prayer may face the scary and eerie beings around us.
    An fb friend posted Houston’s sky going south on I-45 on Thursday. I missed it, but thank you for posting your view, too. Wow great post on several levels.

• That was a beautiful Halloween sky. Strange but spectacular. Looks like your geared up for Thanksgiving. Those scarecrows are just fun to look at. Thanks and best wishes my friend.

14. bebs1 says:

Funny you reminded of the aswangs and manananggal. We didn’t have those in Ilocos but in grade school in Mindoro, stories of them abound. Also the kapre. Your class did stage a five-star or whatever is the highest for the scariest Halloween. That would have made everyone pee in their pants and in my case I would have had a heart attack.

But last night I attended a Requiem High Mass in our local church. It was in Latin but the sermon was in English and it would have rained on your parade and to many other people. The priest decried all the dressing up in macabre outfits and morose decorations of zombies and cemeteries, of dark forces. Knowing you from what I read here, you would have agreed. Remember when we were kids, All Souls and Saints Day were religious holidays, truly devoted in praying for those departed souls? Nowadays they also have Trick-or-Treats in the Phils. In the Catholic belief death is of going back to our Creator and death and the dead should not be treated the way it has become. Could you tell I loved the homily? I thought it is something to think about.

15. Nice combination of folklore and your current life–well done.

16. Wow that store from the Philipines is truly scary. I don’t think I could go there now and not think of it.

17. 06cedmuho says:

Reblogged this on 06cedmuho.

18. What great eerie images! I really love the B&Ws. Looks like fun was had by all!

19. This was the BEST eerie submission I’ve read so far! you knocked this topic right out of the park!
    🙂

20. Spooky, scary creatures and stories. Great, creepy photos of zombies and other eerie things. Now, I won’t be able to sleep easy at night. 🙂

To answer your question, What scares a turkey? I’d say hearing: “Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away, turkey and all the trimming, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.” If I was a turkey, I’d be hightailing it to someplace where they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving … until the season has passed. 🙂

21. You are an excellent writer and great photographer, IT!
    I tried to comment on your son’s birthday post, but the comment box did not show. A very happy belated 8th birthday to him. He is truly blessed you and your wife as his parents. What a loving home you make for him!

• Thank you. That is a warm and generous thought. Children cheer us up, make us laugh, teaches us that it’s okay to make wishes even when we’re in our 40’s, to run after flying balloons, to keep dreaming, to let go. Being around family gives us so many reasons to celebrate. A blessed day to you and your family.

• Thank you. I appreciate the Birthday greetings and well wishes. Everyday is a reason to celebrate and be thankful when around our family and friends.

22. Rob says:

Aswangs sound down right scary. How creepy to leave half of the body on the ground while the other half takes flight.

Love the photos. That was a beautiful sky.

• Thanks. It is a scary tell that a lot of Filipinos believe to be true. Friends and family, especially older ones attest to have experienced them way back in the old past, long before electricity occurred in rural towns. The more populated the place, the less we heard about them.

23. hello island traveler its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow yore monsters sownd eeven skarrier then owr monsters!!! i think i wood spend halloween hiding under the bed if those ar the kinds of kreetchers wot wer roaming arownd owtside at nite!!! ok bye

• Thanks. Yes, Aswangs are not to be played around. They are still prevalent or the tales that surround them in rural settings and isolated places. I still got more stories about them which I try not to remember.

24. That Halloween sky was incredible! And the costumes are great! The stories, way way way too scary! 😉

Very eerie pics, IT. I wonder if all children grow up being scared of the ‘Bogeyman’? I know that I did. I thought that if I misbehaved, he would come and get me. 😯

26. Barb says:

That is one scary vampire. I’d much rather meet up with the Dancing Zombies for a good scary time.

Wow the aswangs are scarey, thanks for sharing about them! I prefer your family story anyday though 🙂 🙂 🙂

28. Sun says:

what scares a turkey? probably this month. 😆
    enjoyed your background history – so interesting how scary tales come about. the Halloween costumes/makeup – great job!

29. Praveena says:

Eerier pic and tik tik sound is really scary.I heard growing up many scary stories like you.I hope it had been prank made by some one.Thanks for sharing !!

• My older folks swears they are real and some have close encounters. My sister saw one in a different form while she was at the farm with my dad. It was a scary night for both of them. Thanks.

30. timecollage says:

Really nice post. I enjoyed your story about the scary pranks you and your friends played. And the kids’ make-up and costumes were awesome! Next year I want to be an undead/zombie too! I find the story about the Aswang to be quite interesting.

31. ChgoJohn says:

What fun! That horror booth you created must have really been something. The folklore involving the Aswangs would scare any child — and more than a few adults. Now, not only will I fear “things that go bump in the night” but things that go “Tik-tik” and “Wak-wak”, too. 🙂

• For some reason, Aswangs can’t fly across continents. Imagine if they can? There are other creepy local stories in the Philippines that to this day haunts the imagination of both the young and old alike. The Horror both was a wild, fun event. I wish there were videos back then. Thanks.

32. Angelia Sims says:

Yikes! Those are some scary kids! I didn’t see any of that around here. And your story….aahhhhh uber creepy…..Hope I never hear those sounds……eek! Glad you had a Happy Halloween!

• Happy Halloween. I was surprise that Halloween was a success in the Philippines. They wear costumes based on local horror tales and those make-up were so believable. My son’s cousins were totally into it. Thanks.

Still debating whether to laugh or run for my life! The most enjoyable eerie post I have read so far IT 🙂

34. vickyinglis says:

Wow, some of those pictures are beyond eerie; they’re terrifying! I hope I never encounter an aswang.

35. This one was a scary post–I liked to hear the legends, and it sure looks like the kids are having fun. I would have loved to see the guy with the live eels tied to his head!

36. artisticmilestone says:

Oh my gosh! I love your pics! I find the eerier pic the scariest, I’d definitely say treat too lol or maybe just run and hide 🙂 My yayas use to tell me stories of mananangal when I was little, that’s probably how I became such a coward haha 🙂 Excellent post!

37. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Eerie Tomb | Processing the life

38. munchow says:

You made a teacher faint? Now is that something to tell you son… 🙂 Well, I am sure he is all excited about the idea. A great and indeed eerie post, my friend. Enjoy the weekend – you and your family.

39. john tugano says:

hehehe taga capiz ka pla bro, cguro andami mo bao baon jan na horror stories about that mythical creature called aswangs..anyways It seems you’ve had a blast of Holloween..How’s your son btw..

40. Tammy says:

I have only dressed scary on one Halloween in my entire life and I just didn’t like it. Love the blurry photo and how spooky it does look.

What’s happening in your homeland right now is awful. I just came to see if there were any related comments, and to ask if your family over there are safe? Life is seriously scarey sometimes.

42. Imelda says:

Yay! Scary stuff. Your friend was so creative in his Medusa costume. I would not have dared get in your booth.