Frayed Rays Of Hometown Sunsets

In time, the edges of what’s left of the many things that has worn out will help us see and appreciate the beauty of having a simple life.

sunset

I have so much to tell you. I got tons of new memories to share. For now, let me begin with a simple sunset by my hometown. A sunset I thought no longer exist as pretty much everything around my birth place has changed.

sunset

As I watched my son and his cousins laugh, play and take a swim on its warm tropical waters, the golden sunset seemed to be saying, “Not everything has changed and yes, I do remember you.”

sunset

“I remember you more than the many sunsets you could ever count.”

sunset

God has his reasons for calling us back and allowing us to set another journey.

sunset

In less than 12 hours of reaching my parent’s place, he showed me why I needed to be there.

sunset

At 04:30 in the morning, I found my mom on the floor with my dad, confused, unable to speak, flapping her arms like she’s about to have a seizure. I prayed hard as I tried to stay calm for everyone else that it’s just severe hypoglycemia and not a stroke. Twenty minutes after drinking a can of juice, she slowly regained consciousness and strength. We had to watch her the whole day and see a specialist.

In my home town 911 does not exist and the nearest emergency brain C.T. scan involves a two-hour drive to the nearest medical center. Where I came from medical common sense, family support and prayers are the first emergency responders. She did okay after that but the event scared me like never before. In a way, I felt blessed to be there. What if they were all by themselves? My mom is 70 years old and my dad, 73. Out of 6 children, only one fate allowed to grow old by their side.

sunset

The incident had me ask so many questions I long been trying to evade. The incident opened my eyes to what’s truly important in my life and that of my family. The frayed pieces of reality beckons me to reconsider the goals and dreams I made so many years ago.

sunset

It’s true that when we get older, we get wiser as our priorities change and evolve to something more meaningful. Time becomes a luxury we can no longer afford to waste. Time is knocking at my door, so loud I can no longer ignore it or pretend it’s not happening.

sunset

Sometimes, our journey lead us back to where we started of. Sometimes moving forward means going back to the source of all things we longed for.

sunset

Love, faith, inner peace, family, friendship, happiness, contentment, good health, these are treasures we discover when we begin to truly listen and see. These are the frayed rays of hometown sunsets we can’t afford to lose or forget. On a clear day, life reminds us that not everything has changed. That when we needed them the most, hometown sunsets will find us.

sunset

Captured in these iPhone images are the daily sunsets by the beach in Roxas City, Capiz Philippines. When I took these images, its coastal skyline was bursting in explosive colors of orange, yellow, red and purple. For several minutes, a glimpse of paradise revealed itself. For several minutes, I was reminded that I will always have another home waiting patiently when I do decide to return.

Hope you enjoyed the preview of my Summer travel of 2014. When I watched these sunsets, I saved you a seat with the best view next to where I was. Yes, I did remember each one of you during my island trip.

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Frayed Rays Of Hometown Sunsets

Hi, IT! I very much enjoyed this preview of your summer travel of 2014. Just marvellous that you were there for your mom when she needed you. Thank you for sharing all these precious pictures. 🙂

• Yes, I felt blessed that I was there when she needed me the most. One of my worst fear is to find out something bad happened when I’m not around to help them. Something I believe every child feels when he/she leaves their home country to seek their dreams. Thanks for sharing and best of blessings my friend.

wow I feel honoured to have been there with you.
    I am so happy that you were there when your Mom was poorly, sometimes us oldens do need a helping hand now and then ,even if we do try to be independent..
    I feel sure that it will not be long before you return, and stay, Its all very nice to go to other countries but deep down HOME is always where your heart is and your heart is in the .Philippines.
    God will guide you as He always has

• Thanks Patrecia. My wife and I never got to let go of the Philippines even if we’d been here in the U.S. for almost 12 years. Yes, our heart never left the Phlippines although we tried hard to embrace our new home and way of life here in America. I guess, not everyone forget and moves on. How can we when most of the people we care about are still in our country of birth. God will find a way when its time and my prayer is he will lead me and my wife in choosing the right path and decisions. For now. we’re just thankful that he gave us to chance to be there for our family. God bless you and your family.

3. arlene says:

So you came home for vacation, that’s nice. The Philippines is such a lovely place. I hope your mom is doing okay now.

• Mom is doing great. She bounced back like nothing happened that morning although we monitored her blood sugar for 2 weeks. Yes, it was nice to be back in the Philippines.I was a bit in a culture shock with the high prices of commodities and crazy driving but the rest as they say, “It’s more fun in the Philippines,” and it was. Thanks.

4. How scary for you and your dad. Thank goodness you were there with the knowledge you have. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as she follows up on your orders or the doctor’s orders. Thank you for sharing your home in the Philippines.

• Thanks Georgette. My dad was scared more. He didn’t know what to do and I doubt he could life his mom at his age now. God placed me at the right place and at the right time. It’s funny cause one of my sister’s asked me why I have to go this year and why not next year. I never doubted that I needed to go and be with them.

5. Still Times says:

Hi IT! Wow, it’s been a long time since I visited your blog last. I’m so glad I did so today!
    First, I hope your mama is doing better and has bounced back to health 100%.
    Your post today reminded me f a country song that goes something like, “I will walk by faith even when I can not see for this broken road is your will for me”. I believe that you’ll know when it’s the right time to return. His amazing plan is in place.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures, your story, and your family with us. I’ve always enjoyed your blog and the content is forever beautiful!

Maria

• Thanks Maria. I will sure remember these words, ” “I will walk by faith even when I can not see for this broken road is your will for me.” Sometimes, life gets crazy, hard and blurry that we forget that we are not alone, was never alone in our journey. That all this time God, was there to lead us the way. We simply forgot or relied on our own strength. Events like these open our eyes and hearts again to what is important and real.

Liked by 1 person

6. Beautiful, beautiful post. This week’s challenge topic is eliciting some unique perspectives and “frayed sunsets” is defintely one of them.
    It’s funny how God makes sure we’re EXACTLY where we’re supposed to be at any particular moment. I’m so glad your mother is ok, and that your vacation gave you time to catch up with extended family. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

• God indeed knows “Exactly” when the right time is. He help us find our way when we no longer recognize the road or the future we’re heading. He brings us back to family and friends we missed. He makes sure we are reminded that we have a bigger family that loves us no matter what or where we’d been. Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

7. lindasblogs says:

I’m so sorry your mom had such a health scare but glad you could be there to help. What a comfort it must have been to have you and your family by her side. Also glad your son has been able to get to know his distant cousins this summer. Family is important, the more the merrier. They’ll be buddies for life and always know they have loved ones all over the world. You and your wife have given your son a great worldview! (The Philippines looks like a beautiful country.)

• My son was actually with me when the health scare happened. The next night, he made sure he kissed her grandma goodnight and his grandpa. He’s not used to kissing others and I was suprised I didn’t have to ask him. I guess he saw how much we cared and how sick she got. He realized too that he does have a bigger family that truly loves him. He bonded with his cousins like glue and even slept with his grandpa and grandma on my wife’s side the night before we flew back to Houston. It was his silent way of telling them “Thank you” and “love you” grandpa and grandma. Thanks Linda.

Liked by 1 person

8. One of my favorite posts that you created: the images and your commentary evoke deeper thought. Well done. Enjoy building more memories.

• It was my way of thanking my parents, my parent’s-in-law and their amazing family, my sisters, my brother-in-laws, nephews, niecesand relatives for giving me , my wife and son a vacation to remember and celebrate always. The love and generosity was overflowing. They all made sure we all feel that we are home and we were…101%. Thanks Sally.

9. Colline says:

Your son looks like he is having such fun playing in the ocean – what a blessing that is to see.
    What a scare you had with your mom – and it was good that you were there. When we are so far away from our folks, it is hard. But God brought you there for that moment to be with your folks and one can only trust that He will bring someone to your parents when it is needed.

• The incident made me see first hand that miracles do exist. That God remembers and love us fully. Sometimes we take health for granted but once we get sick or those we love, we realize just being healthy is a miracle and a precious gift in itself. Yes, my son had a great time playing and swimming in my hometown beach. He even got to do it one time while it was raining. Something he never did before and something I used to do as a kid. Awesome moment! Thanks Colline.

10. Wonderful thoughts and images, IT. You were meant to be there for your parents at this worrying time. I hope that your mom is fine now, but you’re so right about time being a luxury that we can’t afford to waste. May we remember this wisdom every morning when we wake up. I so enjoyed your sunset pics. 🙂

• Thank you. My parents are doing okay now. I even made a meal time schedule for my mom just to make sure she doesn’t miss eating in relation to her medication intake. As for time, we need to respect it, cherish it and spend it wisely with the people we love. Each morning is a borrowed time.

11. bigbird34 says:

Beautiful pictures and your words are very touching.

12. Crooked Tracks says:

I enjoyed your beautiful photos and I’m so glad you were with your parents during the health scare. It is hard to live away from family. I know that myself.

• It was a blessing to watch and enjoy a sunset with them. While I was taking these images, my parents was behind me, watching and trying to make the moment last for as long as they can. They don’t have to say the words, their actions showed how much they miss their children. All 6 children. Thanks.

Ahh thanks for this wonderful view you shared. I’m so glad your mum is okay, it’s so very hard having to cope with feelings about being so far away but I know you’ll make the best decisions for everyone.

• Thank you. Indeed it is hard to be away. We feel helpless when something happens because we are far from their reach. Somehow, God heard my prayer or perhaps theirs and made sure I was there when they needed me as much as I needed to be with them.

14. I hope that your mother is doing well? Travel really does open our eyes to all the things we take for granted: from clean drinking water to good health to the ability to watch a beautiful beach sunset. Hope your summer on Roxas was everything you had wanted.

• It was truly a Summer I dreamed about and more. Each day of my 3 weeks vacation was precious, even the 3 days I was sick just before flying back to Houston. It kind of allowed my parents to be parents when they used to take care of me when I was sickly. I think, grown kids forget that their parents do miss being needed and only realize that when they grow old themselves and their kids have to leave home so they can create their own. Cycle of life is both a mixture of joy and sadness. Thanks.

Liked by 1 person

15. Sherri says:

Dear friend, how sorry to hear of your mom’s scary experience and for you all but how wonderful that you were there to be with her and your dad. I do hope she is fully recovered now I know how hard it is to be away from family as you know, I was so far away for so long and I prayed that nothing would happen to them while I was away. Your beautiful photos capture the essence of what really matters in life, the simple beauty of God’s creation and family life and love, of being together when God puts us together for reasons that sometimes we can’t see right away but then become all to apparent at just the perfect time. I’ve been ‘frayed’ at the edges, a tough time, and I think you and I are on the same wavelength with our take on the theme…but when we come out the other side, we are lit up once again with love, hope, faith and friendship. God bless you dear friend, and your family as I remember you all in my prayers as you make the most of every second and every sunset and find the wisdom and guidance you seek.

• Thank you Sherri. I appreciate the generous kindness and thoughtfulness. Essence of life is indeed about finding our faith, celebrating God’s creation, valuing family life and love, of just being together no matter how short the time may seem. Yes, I do see that somehow we have similar frayed events in our lives as well as finding much needed light at the end of each torn tunnel. God bless you my friend. I too will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers always. Be safe and have a great weekend.

Liked by 1 person

16. I’m glad you had a good time with your family. Glad too that your mom is OK. I’m sure they were glad to have you around, especially when that “event” happened to your mom.

• We all had a great time but more that anything else, just being there for each other, to be cared for and needed, to share hearts, thougths and dreams made our 3 weeks vacation something to be grateful for always. We can’t put a price of being around family. And yes, it felt truly home and saying goodbye difficult. Thanks.

17. Thank you Island Traveler for sharing both the Beautiful Photography of golden Sunsets and your heart thoughts in the reality of Life, both have blessed me, yes God works every thing for good in our lives even the Storms that we encounter which are often very overcast.

Ron was asking after you wondering how you were going, I will be able to share with him now that you have had what could have been very painful experience but instead was blessed and so have blessed us.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• Thank you Anne. And say thank you to Ron for me. I needed to go back not just to see my parents but to find myself and what I really want at this point in my life. So much has happened to me and my wife here in the U.S. that we both feel lost. We’ve had our dreams and hearts broken so many times by people and institutions giving away false promises of the so called , “American Dream.” In the end, we realized it’s still back to basics, God, family, friendship. That happiness is having love, peace and contentment in our lives. That a simple and humble life make us appreciate more the blessings we receive in this lifetime. God bless you and your family.

Liked by 1 person

• Dear Island Travel, you sound like you are discouraged and yet still looking at the reality that really counts. Yes people let us down, God never does, people hurt us, God doesn’t, He keeps us strong through all adversity. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Christian Love – Anne

18. mariannegv says:

I’m glad that your mother is alright, Island Traveler. I hope everything goes well with whatever decision you make in benefit for you and your family. May peace be with you and your family.
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

• Thanks Marianne. I hope and pray God will guide me and my wife with our future goals and decisions. Sometimes what we want is not what God intend for us to have. That long before we were born, his plans were already set but since we have free will, he allowed us to choose and some of those chosing don’t end well. Hard life lessons that help us choose the right ones eventually.

19. omel07 says:

Welcome back to the Pearl of the Orient Seas! How is your mother fairing now? She is really lucky to have a caring and thoughtful son. Plus, the photos are gorgeous! Each photo tells a little of your journey. You have travelled more than a thousand miles. Doesn’t it feel so good to be back to where you grew up? I was in America for almost a year. When I got back home, I felt this irresistible urge to yell “I’M HOME!”

• Yes, it felt good to be back on the shores of the Pearl of the Orient Seas. Sometimes, we have to move away to realize how much we had. That we have to loose something to realize we had everything. In my heart, I did shout, “I’m home and it felt great!” My parents cared for me and my siblings with everything they’ve got and sacrificed so much so all of us to have a better life. I just wish I can repay that on a regular basis and not every 2 years or whenever I get the chance to go back. Thanks. All the best to you and your family.

20. Beautiful, beautiful photos and post. Love seeing the kids having such fun in the water with the gorgeous sunset 🙂 Have a great weekend!!! ~Sophia

21. I’m sorry to hear your mom was ill but she was lucky to have you there during those hard times so you could take care of her (and the rest of the family, apparently!). What a beautiful beach scene to be part of. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of what your summer vacation must have been like. I just wrote my first blog post this week, after taking a long summer break to enjoy my kids’ company. School is back on and so is our routine!

• Looks like you had an amazing Summer my friend. Full of fun, discovery, adventures and special family bonding. When we have Summer like that, it’s hard to go be on Back to School mode. My son has some jet lag sleep adjustment but I could see that he enjoys being back to school already. I see some signs of homesickness in him but he tries to be busy, just like his mom and dad so he doesn’t miss so much. He gets extra chatty and recall so many things he used to do in the Philippines, including the breakfast he ate and tries to have it recreated. Adorable really! Have a great weekend and all the best to your family.

22. Ruth says:

A beautiful series. I enjoyed being there via your photographs.

23. DotedOn says:

Incredible pictures as usual!. You captured the beautiful sunset and the children’s happiness in every shot! Very nice 🙂
    I hope you mom is doing well 🙂

I never saw a more beautiful sunset, Mr. B, but oh, you frightened me! I can hardly imagine how you felt but thank goodness your Mom has recovered. I bet you had a magical Summer 🙂

• Thanks Jo. Part of me was panicking but then I can’t afford to do so. For a second I asked myself, “What was I to do in an E.R. setting?” Then I asked God, “Lord, please let this be just a simply case of hypoglycemia.” He heard my prayer! God is good, all the time indeed!

25. Imelda says:

I am glad you were there to help your mother and I hope that she recovers fully. This post touched a nerve with me because I am also far from home and so are my siblings except for one.
    God bless you and your family.

• We don’t truly appreciate how important family is until we move far away from them. When homesickness knocks we ask ourselves, ” was it worth leaving?” Same questions bothered me when I was there. Perhaps it’s something I need to prepare in the next few years. In the end, money and comfort are NOT the ones that will fill in the void, but rather the love and presence of family. I’m starting to realize now what I had given up for my American Dream. In God’s time, all things will fall in its right places. All the best to you and your love ones. Thanks.

26. You all look so happy and the pictures are terrific. I love the energy too.

27. Thank you, IT, for saving me the best seat with the best view. I love your photos. Sunsets have always been my favorites. I envy your splashing about in the ocean – even though there is one just miles from my door. 😉

I’m so glad that you were there when your mom collapsed. I’m sure that was a comfort to your mom and dad.

• Thanks Judy. Oceans from all over has the unique magic and sunsets. Each moment, beautiful and special. I’m blessed to be there when they needed me. Few days before leaving I got sick and they took care of me. Family is family!

Liked by 1 person

28. Many thanx for sharing your fun-loving pics with us and for visiting my blog. Peace.

29. Thanks for “liking” my post and, in so doing,introducing me to your great site. Beautiful photos…beautiful thoughts!

30. ushakr2014 says:

You write beautifully! And your vision of life is lovely and greatly inspirational. Thank you,

• Thank you. Life is beautiful no matter how many hardships we had or how many bad news we read. When we open our eyes and heart to the good things around us and focus on positivity, the world, nature and all looks amazing!

31. Hi Mr. B. — praising God that he placed you exactly where you should have been when your mom needed you. being a mom myself, it just struck a beautiful chord in my heart.

needless to say, your post is one meaningful expression of your beautiful heart, next to God the family is what makes our life worth every beat of it. may the good Lord guide you and Mrs. B to make the most rewarding decision when the time comes. meanwhile, memories made are heartfelt reminders that all options chosen work well when grounded in love from every good moment remembered. have a blessed day ahead and still hoping to see you guys when you visit the islands again. warm regards to Mrs. B and the young one 🙂 — April

• Thank you April. I appreciate the words of faith and inspiration. I am thankful that God allowed me to be there when they needed me the most. He gave me an oppurtunity to take care of them. Just talked to my dad yesterday and he said,”Your mom can’t stop telling her friends how you helped her get well.” I thought it wasn’t a big deal. It was something any son would do. It was something I was meant to do. God bless you and your family.

32. Beautiful photos, and more importantly, I’m praying for the continued health of your parents and all those you love. So happy you were there for them when they needed you!

33. Debbie M. says:

A wonderful story in pictures: the pictures you saw with your eyes and the pictures that reside in your heart.

• It’s amazing how our smartphone’s camera becomes an extension of what we see and feel. The stories we expereinced comes alive as soon as we see the images like they happened yesterday.

34. bebs1 says:

I did miss reading your introspection about life. I know how it felt because my Mom was diabetic too and it got harder to control when she was fighting her cancer. She didn’t want to be left alone so we shared the bed all the time and I’d wake up very early morning and she’d be sweating and unresponsive. Twice I had to call 911 and she has to be brought to the hospital. That’s when I decided she needed 24/7 care and so I had to bring her home. Am sure you are grateful that you were there when it happened and now you can properly guide them how to deal with it. My mom never had those episodes again once she was home as she had constant companion/care. It is hard to leave seeing your love ones in those circumstances. It is a very hard decision to make. God will give you his answer in due time.

• Bless your kind and loving heart my friend. You gave your mom a beautiful, priceless gift every parent wish for. There is no substitute of being cared by your own family. That is itself is one step to healing. My thoughts and prayers to your mom on her fast recovery and good health. God is indeed good. He send us friends and family to be there with us when we need someone to be our source of strength and comfort. God bless you and your family. Thank you.

35. pinsannie says:

Very touching and thoughtful

36. dunelight says:

Powerful story, joyous pictures.