Nighttime At The Plaza

It was more than just any plaza. It was a plaza of my youth. I used to pass by it everyday riding the tricycle on my way to school. In its center which most local folks call a rotunda, sat a water fountain. Through the years, the plaza became the main venue for the town’s yearly much awaited events and holidays. Through the years it heard so many wishes and many lovers sweet promises to one another. At nighttime, when the lights turns on and the traffic slows down, nostalgic memories comes alive and takes you back inย time.

IMG_3412-0.JPG

After visiting the Adoration Chapel by the church to thank God for their grandma’s recovery, the twins excitedly showed my son their newly renovated water fountain by the plaza’s rotunda. The water playfully caught the colorful lights as it dropped into the bottom of the fountain. It was beautiful and yes, it made me feel a bit nostalgic.

IMG_3411-0

While enjoying a quick trip down memory lane, my son and his cousins were busy running and goofing around the plaza. Just before we left, they huddled together, whispered something and laughed. Years from now, they will be looking at the same fountain, celebrating their special bond of friendship and have their very own travel back in time. Yes, all these happened and can happen at the plaza when the Sun goes down and nighttime takes over.

ย Images taken using iPhone 5S camera enhanced with Backlit Scene effect of Camera+

Advertisements

A father, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, a traveler, an optimist hoping to create something good & meaningful to every person he shares his world, his home, his dreams, his hope & heart with.
This entry was posted in family and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Nighttime At The Plaza

1. prior says:

when the first photo showed up in my reader- well it tugged at my heart – especially because I have seen many night shots this week – but the trio you give us also tells a story – and then the second shot adds moreโ€ฆ
    and as you add
    ” they huddled together, whispered something and laughed..”
    well this was such a short yet moving post – have a great week. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thank you. That moment and memory gives me hope that we can have true friendship in life that makes us laugh, hear our fears, embrace us generously and yes, laugh to our heart’s contents. Children teaches something priceless and genuine everyday.

2. That first picture really is heart warming. This is a great moment captured.

3. Wonderful memories indeed…

4. dogear6 says:

I’m glad you thought to whip out you phone and snap some pictures. It really is a special memory for them and for you also.

Nancy

• My camera phone is an extension of my eyes. They help me see things I missed and miss. Things I hope, dream, cherish, long to remember when I’m far away from the rest of my family. Thanks.

5. Oh I miss our barangay plaza especially during the Simbang Gabi – puto bumbong and bibingkas, sampaguitas and balloon vendors! ๐Ÿ™‚

• It’s now officially a 3 month Christmas event in the Philippines. Nowhere else have I experience a people and a country so into the Christmas spirit. Miss them too. Thanks.

6. Lovely photos of the three cousins, watching the beautiful water fountain. I’m so glad that grandma recovered from her illness. ๐Ÿ™‚

• She did. It was our own miracle. Health is a priceless blessing. Up until we started getting sick or our family do we realize how much valuable our physical bodies are and how we needed God to help us heal in every aspect of our being. It’s good to know we are not alone when we’re sick or in trouble. Thanks.

Liked by 1 person

7. It is such a treat that you get to revisit some of your childhood haunts with your own son!

8. bebs1 says:

Those are priceless moments in the minds of the young ones. Precious!

9. bigbird34 says:

The boys look adorable huddled together. I wonder what they were saying to one another…

10. Friendship what a priceless gift it is, you were a stranger Island Traveler before you walked into my heart, filling it with your heart felt words and beautiful photography, Thank you for being you and for sharing your life with us, your hopes, your hard times and your joyful memories and your life today.

I have often wondered Island Traveler about your work, the people you care for, your feelings about those in great need of care, how blessed they are to have someone who as compassionate and understanding as you are.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• Thank you Anne. You are a generous , kind friend and sister in Christ. His love and goodness flow through your words and stories. You inspired me with comfort of faith, light and all things hopeful. Though I have not met you in person, you listened and shared as a true friend. Thanks again. God bless you and your family. Your friendship I’ll treasure always.

Liked by 1 person

11. Tina Schell says:

What a sweet story – I love the multi-generational aspect of the fountain. Nicely told!

Magical, those sparkling lights! Many thanks for sharing your youth. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Sherri says:

How wonderful that your son and his cousins bring their own brand of nostalgia to the same place that you visited as a boy. These photos are so precious, revealing the shared whispers, jokes and quiet moments shot through with bursts of boyhood laughter and revelry. The will indeed look back at these days with the very same nostalgia that you experienced as you captured these precious moments in time. God bless you my friend and your beautiful family ๐Ÿ™‚

14. judithhb says:

How lovely. I have been so caught up in RL and have missed my friends in the blogosphere. Thank you for sharing these memories.

15. Beautiful photos and wonderful memories. I especially love the last photo ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a wonderful weekend!! ~Sophia

16. The three boys, arm in arm, in that night photo is very sweet. It makes me think of good times as a child, playing hide-and-go seek. Many wonderful memories. As I see them huddled together in that last photo, I can’t help but wonder what they’re talking about. Innocent and happy times. ๐Ÿ˜‰

He’s growing up, IT. I remember a little sprite barely up to your hip. Now, he’s taller. Older!

• He is growing tall, about the height of my wife’s shoulder. He’s turning 9 end of October. It’s fun watching him discover the world and himself. He’s our bundle of joy. Thanks.

18. arlene says:

Seems that I missed reading some of your posts again. Will have to include your link in my blogroll so it would be easier. It is always nice to go back to one’s roots. I am glad your son would have lots of happy memories to think of in the future.

• Yes, it is nice to go back to one’s roots. To remember the many simple things that once made us happy. To recall that happiness is not about having material things but rather having people in our lives that will stick with us no matter what. Going back home assured me that I will always have a family in the Philippines waiting for me, my wife and son when God calls us back. It’s all up to him and his grand plan for each one of us. Thanks.

• arlene says:

So true, our family will always be there for us. A friend who stayed for so long in another country said once that there is no place like home and she meant the Philippines.

19. Debbie M. says:

There is something special about taking our children to places of our past and then watching as our past becomes their present. I think that is one of the best ways to relive and recapture our memories of the past! Through fresh eyes. Sharing with the next generation.

• Through the next generation we see how we were and what we hope to be. In that, we need to make sure they have a nurturing environment of all things good that will mold them into better grown-ups one day. Memories lives on in our hearts and those we love. Thanks.

20. It’s always nice to visit parts of your town that haven’t changed much and that can bring back memories. Your son is very lucky to have been able to spend time with his cousins. It’s such a special relationship.

21. SalvaVenia says:

Yes, life can gift us with such special and heart-rendering moments. Thanks for sharing.

Greetings from the other side of the pond,
    Salva